LegacyGT.com

Temp gauge not working right...

When i got this project No matter if you just started it up or been driving for 50miles the temp gauge sits at 1/2way only time it moves is when its keyed off.. At first i thought the temp sending unit was bad but i just replaced it and its doing the same thing....:lol: I checked with my meter and i get alittle less than 12V at the sending unit.. Could this be a case of bad grounds? Or could the cluster be bad? Is there common problems with these cars that i should know about? I know like with my Jeep ZJ there is common problems that lead back to bad solder joints in like the VIC, PCM, etc etc.... Like my last project (99 VW Golf MK4) The temp and fuel gauge didn't work and the alarm for Oil PSI and ABS would not go out and it turned out to be a bad cluster too... Thanks for any help....... I know if the temp is not working right then the cooling fans won't kick on so i know its causing some overheating but thats why i will kick the AC on so the fans will kick on:lol:

I recently replaced my temperature sensor. There are 2. One goes to the computer, the other goes to the gauge. The gauge one has only 1 wire coming from it. My car has the 2.2 engine.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

please explain,

when you turn the car on at idle in the morning, where is the temp gauge?

when the engine warms up, where is the temp gauge?

if you drive the car for 30 minutes on the hiway, where is the temp gauge?

basically, the gauge does not move above the half way point unless it is over heating. but it should take several minutes to move from ''cold'' up to the half way point first thing in the morning. if yours is doing something different please explain.

This may help his diagnostics. While replacing my "engines" temp sensor, I knocked off the single wire to the "gauges" sensor. The gauge read cold and never moved up regardless of temp.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

for answers 1-3 it sits at the half way point. Only time it moves anywhere else is when it is keyed off. when it is keyed off it pegs out at the cold. but as soon as you start it (Cold start 35F out) it is siting at the half way point. I replaced the single wire temp sender.... Where is the other temp sender located and would it have anything to do with the gauge too? Mine is a 2.2 i figure it doesn't say DOHC on the valve cover it just says 16 valve.

please explain,

1when you turn the car on at idle in the morning, where is the temp gauge?

2when the engine warms up, where is the temp gauge?

3if you drive the car for 30 minutes on the hiway, where is the temp gauge?

basically, the gauge does not move above the half way point unless it is over heating. but it should take several minutes to move from ''cold'' up to the half way point first thing in the morning. if yours is doing something different please explain.

i think you need to check the wire run. the gauge should not jump to the mid-point at a cold start up. something is wrong with either the sending unit, the wire run or the gauge.

what does the gauge do if you unplug the wire at the sending unit?

If i unplug it i get the same thing... I wonder if the wire might be grounding out somewhere but i am betting its the cluster... Would not be the first time i got a car and it be the cluster behind all the problems... Anyone know how that wire is ran? And how to check the cluster?

just so we are cleasr, the unit you are unpluging is the single wire temp sensor on the ''crossover'' pipe under the intake on the passenger side of the engine?

if it is the same unplugged , then yes, it is grounded out somewhere.

Yes we are talking the same thing lol i been working on or around cars my whole life thanks to my dad's shop and such ;) lol but thank you for trying to make it clear.. Today i was at the junk yard and thought to go with the idea of maybe a bad cluster (Last car had the same problem and turned out to be a bad cluster) Well all they had was a 97 Legacy Wagon 5speed so i thought it would be the same. Well i pulled its cluster and i put it in mine... Mind you the 97 cluster was missing on small plug that mine had, plus the other small plug didn't fit and also the OEM said 140mph while the 97's said 120mph, but the main 3 plugs fit so i hooked it up and everything works?? lol Temp and all work like it should..... I am alittle confused because i thought no way it would cause of the two small plugs but it all works maybe someone can tell me what them plugs do........

This shows the difference in the layout... only thing i see different between the two is the MPH and the door ajar the new one shows a white outline of a car and has doors that open while the old one only had a little red car with a single door open and the only thing i notice that don't work right is the door ajar no matter the door it just shows the drivers door open but if the doors are shut it goes off so i guess its fine...

020112155502.thumb.jpg.c1c8d1474726726eb86fb250c2920883.jpg

020112203217.thumb.jpg.3103318ca3ea90d2289f5a940e5054aa.jpg

020112203131.thumb.jpg.b5fdea2b22c785085930b10bf534a9f4.jpg

if you are careful and organized you can pull the working gauge out and install it in your cluster.

BE CAREFUL the needles like to break.

i swapped a 120 mph with a 140 mph speedo. it really isn't worth messing with. but here's the basics, they come from cars with different size tires and although the speedos are EXACTLY the same and operate the same, the face plates with the numbers on them are different. this difference allows for the difference in tire size. you have to remove the needle to swap the face plates and it is very difficult to get the needle back on correctly. the needles move when the power comes on, and there is no way to guesstimate where to point it unless you are driving a constant 60 mph. and installing it while driving is very dangerous. oh yeah, did i mention that the needles like to BREAK. so don't bother.

if the plugs on the back were the same then the speedos would be the same and work without any alterations.

but you can swap the temp gauge pretty easy, 3 screws i think once you get the circuit board out of the housing.

I'm not gonna worry about it if the speedo is off i use my GPS for that anyways thats how i knew the old one was fast by 5mph. But i will track myself once or twice then i will know what speeds i am going without the GPS...... Now on to How in the hell can i remove a driver side rear glass off a junk yard car to put in mine... What can i use to cut the seal? as you see someone went nuts with the tape but when i got the car i removed all that crap cut the plxie glass so it would fit and ran tape alone the edge to hold in place. but i wanna fix it and was gonna get the glass today but i couldn't cut the seal... any idea how i can? I am thinking just pay one of the parts pullers there to do it.. but really rather save the cash

012612161714.thumb.jpg.f557868ad0b8cb402ea304a3052bf15a.jpg

Archived