LegacyGT.com

can't open air filter housing

So I just want to change my air filter on my 1997 legacy 2.2 NA. I open the two side clips.... and can only open it a quarter of an inch or so. Feels like there is a clip on the bottom or something causing it to stick but I cannot find one nor is there one in the manual. I've used a lot of muscle on it already and am afraid of breaking the housing. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

there is a good chance that there are only 2 clips, near the top, upper end and that the other end is held in place by tabs on the ''lid'' that fit into slots on the lower, base, of the air filter box. they made this change at some point i just don't remember when. if you haven't yet, disconnect the MAF sensor and plastic tubing from the air box and that should give enough room to ''hinge the air filter box lid up enough to remove it.

now in order to avoid the ''i just changed my air filter and the engine stalls as soon as i start it'' post, make sure the large, 1''+, tube that connects to the bottom of the plastic intake between the filter box and the throttle body, it is hidden so look for it, make sure it isd connected when you close it all back up. and reconnect the MAF wiring if you undid it.

good luck.

I will say that may have been one of the most difficult air filter changes I've done in awhile. Put in a nice PureOne though.

I can see how someone could break the tabs. I'm lucky I didn't. They are not mentioned in the owner's manual, the Hayes manual, or on a video I found on youtube.

Be sure to tell any service outfit to LEAVE MY AIR FILTER ALONE if not they will break off the 4 tabs and your air box won't seal properly....Ask me how I know...

first, i thought it was ''LEAVE MY ELEVATOR ALONE''.

but more on point, i have recently started telling the ''inspection'' station whenever i drop it off that ''i have just been thru the whole thing, i don't think you will find anything wrong''. hopefully this will slow them down enough to prevent them from ''finding'' something that doesn't really need repair. it is always disturbing when they find something wrong that i thought was good. i just don't trust them.

I think it was a transition year. I have had all kinds of trouble getting parts because, supposedly, half of the model year got one type when the other half got another. I think the shop manager was going to have a nervous breakdown while replacing my AC compressor. Part A from early, part B from mid year maybe, part C special order from limbo.

Archived