LegacyGT.com

Rebuilt 2.5 wont fire

97 outback 2.5 dohc

Heads rebuilt, timing belt all that jazz. This is its first start up since.

Factory alarm - tried to reset it. I think it worked, but not sure. Turned key forward then held reset button till the lights flashed.

It will crank, but never actually starts. It sounds like it is going to after about 2 seconds, but never does.

I have not done a compression test yet. I turned the engine over by hand about 10 times, so I don't want to put timing as #1

Spark plug wires are good. Has fuel in the lines.

check for spark?

try starting with a shot of starting fluid.

check the timing, has it jumped? did you use the correct alignment marks?

check compression.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/timingbeltdiagramej25.gif

Im confident that every cam sprocket was lined up perfectly. The crank sprocket arrow was matched to the timing belt line, but there was no way the crank sprocket would match up to the crank sensor mark. Just the timing belt line. How can I check timing alignment if its been turned over like 50 times?

I will double check the sensors tomorrow.

Thanks

not the arrows, never the arrows.

the timing mark on the crank sprocket is located on rear of the sprocket on one of the ''reluctor'' tabs.

the key way on the crank sprocket is supposed to be down in the 6 o'clock position when the cams are lined up.

Im not sure if it was the arrow. I just know I looked at the picture in the manual and based the position off of the teeth and used the mark that was there. Whether or not it was an arrow or not I cannot say, there was a mark of some sort. Im going today to check compression. Ill let ya know what happens. Thanks!

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1622/img0453kl.jpg

This is from my ej22 and I did it the same on the 25. The mark Im saying didnt line up perfectly was the top sproket gear tooth (1 out of the 6) It didnt line up with the mark on the crank sensor mark. But the timing belt lined up perfectly.

one side of the timing belt has a tooth count of 40-something and 1/2. so that side, the passenger , i think, is always a little squarely. but one tooth off would not / should not keep it from starting. truth be told. you really don't care about the marks on the belt, it is the alignment marks you want to line up. but again, one tooth isn't going to keep it from starting. it might run a little ruff but it would sstart.

i think the same thing is true for the valves. they would have to be really screwed up to keep it from starting.

check spark. if no spark,

try starting with a shot of starting fluid. if that doesn't work,

check compression. but i don't think that's it.

something is unplugged or busted during the process. my second guess anyway.

I know the passenger head has spark and is 150 compression on both cylinders. The wires that are on it have rubber caps that came off onto the sparkplugs, so I cant check compression on the drivers head till I get those damn rubber pieces off! I was preoccupied with the rubber dealio's, so I did not check for spark. I will later this week.

Archived