LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

I think we might need a carpentry specific thread, given the workmanship of a lot of the members here. I'll toss a couple random pictures in here for now.

A table I built last winter for a buddy who bought a 1910 Craftsman in Portland, Or.

20151219_183017.jpg.ceb8c6df992929ea2e6f6b9ef63ff1ab.jpg

20151219_182914.jpg.b19c1444642fff4995719d79f178cb1b.jpg

20151226_121115.jpg.3e8599484bbc02f6d746d2909429fe7c.jpg

20151226_170645.jpg.ad6f502afb99cbba79618c8f410f987b.jpg

20160109_185322.thumb.jpg.289567f41b266d9926ab64a1dbe97f03.jpg

John Hancock

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we might need a carpentry specific thread, given the workmanship of a lot of the members here. I'll toss a couple random pictures in here for now.

A table I built last winter for a buddy who bought a 1910 Craftsman in Portland, Or.

The wife and I really need a dining room table. I like this one. Are there plans that you could share?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The wife and I really need a dining room table. I like this one. Are there plans that you could share?

I'd be happy to help out. I don't really do "plans" though. I just start building stuff and let it happen. I am halfway through another one that was slated to be a replica but is now quite different. :lol:

John Hancock

I'd be happy to help out. I don't really do "plans" though. I just start building stuff and let it happen. I am halfway through another one that was slated to be a replica but is now quite different. :lol:

Thanks. I'll shoot you a PM with some questions when I get a chance.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The other advantage of LEDs is that you can install a dimmer switch and not need the three circuits. ;) That's what I did.

I'd still want three circuits. It's a large room and it let's you control lighting better for the home theater setup

I used to watch Norm Abraham and Bob Vila as a kid when all my friends would watch cartoons... The woodworking like that never stuck because I always liked construction more.

There are a couple shops near me that put out furniture like your first table, usually combinations of reclaimed wood and metal, and they fetch huge money... $1800-4000 coffee tables, $1000 end table pairs, etc.

I used to watch Norm Abraham and Bob Vila as a kid when all my friends would watch cartoons... The woodworking like that never stuck because I always liked construction more.

There are a couple shops near me that put out furniture like your first table, usually combinations of reclaimed wood and metal, and they fetch huge money... $1800-4000 coffee tables, $1000 end table pairs, etc.

I intend to fund my overhaul using my wood projects. I currently have to drive 35 minutes to my dad's to get in my wood shop, so progress is slow. Hoping to rectify that in the next few months.

I got offers of 4500 - 5000 for that first table, but it was never about money. It was a gift

John Hancock

I intend to fund my overhaul using my wood projects. I currently have to drive 35 minutes to my dad's to get in my wood shop, so progress is slow. Hoping to rectify that in the next few months.

I got offers of 4500 - 5000 for that first table, but it was never about money. It was a gift

Looks great. I was sort of getting into carpentry as a hobby, then I got a house, now I am into home repair. :D

Three questions, because I want to eventually make a table like that

How did you make the table top level (hand plane, sand?), join the boards together (biscuit or just glue), how did you attach the table top to the legs?

Looks great. I was sort of getting into carpentry as a hobby, then I got a house, now I am into home repair. :D

Three questions, because I want to eventually make a table like that

How did you make the table top level (hand plane, sand?), join the boards together (biscuit or just glue), how did you attach the table top to the legs?

I used 100 year old wood, so I had to be very careful and judicious about sanding. Don't plane reclaimed wood, at least on any surface you intend to keep rustic. I lightly sanded and cleaned up the grains and ran the bottom side through my planer. The hardest part was getting all of the boards straight with out losing all of the really cool character. They were warped, cupped, cracked, chipped, rotting, you name it.

Typically I would just edge glue and clamp a table top. But, this one is unique. The individual thicknesses vary all the way across, so I did miter in a groove and hammer in some 1/8" hardboard. It kept the table top as perfectly uneven as I wanted it to be.

The legs I attached to the ribs that I mounted on the bottom. I set up a jig and ran a router to make an even and level surface to glue and screw them to. The routed area is the exact shape of the ribs, so they are inset about 1/4" on average. The legs are bolted to the ribs in 4 locations. It ended up being more stable than I anticipated so I canned my cross beam I had started to build.

Does that all make sense?

Edited by birdmayne

John Hancock

This discussion of carpentry is perfectly timed. I just started planning out my workbench in the garage. I know it's easy enough to slap together some 2x4's but I want to make this shit sturdy and last forever and not deflect an inch.

Anyone have some good carpentry resources I can read up on?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I'm looking around... making some faux 4x4s out of 2x4s is a cheap option. I saw another guy making some out of doweled 6x6s and 2x6s too. Now I'm thinking about getting some 6x6 legs for the weight, cutting some dado slots, and gluing/screwing some 2x4 braces to them. A flat solid core door would make a nice top too.

The super heavy super sturdy ones seem to be more for wood working or other heavy, heavy duty stuff... I just need a vice to hold some plumbing while I glue or solder it together, space to rebuild computers, etc...

I'm sure I could spend a month building a work bench and have it cost 2 grand and it would be the envy of local carpenters and wood workers but seriously, in the end it'll just be a big shelf cluttered with my tools with a 2x1ft space for me to actually work. :lol:

This discussion of carpentry is perfectly timed. I just started planning out my workbench in the garage. I know it's easy enough to slap together some 2x4's but I want to make this shit sturdy and last forever and not deflect an inch.

I don't have the plans or even better pictures on my work PC or phone, but the work bench that my table was built on is pretty basic. And strong enough for my 230 lbs to stand and jump on with little to no flex.

It's just basic floor joist style framing with an exterior frame and 6 4x4s holding it up. We tend to over engineer and make things far fancier than they need. But I think we spent just north of $100 and a Saturday building it.

John Hancock

I looked into the cost of a bench vs building my own. Came in at about 75-100 in materials... and a half of a weekend. Decided that a store bought one, or even better, one on craigslist, would be a better use of my resources.

Lot of good ideas here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Workbenches/

Just how deep do you want to go :D