LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

WIndows aren't too too bad... Depending on the size, etc. Also - I wonder if any of your windows are framed, or if you'll have this same issue?

Yep, storm doors are pricey. I put in two of those Larson self-screen storing units. They actually roll up the screen inside a small area of the door. Pretty slick, but $250 or so.

Entry door at $147 - that's a deal. You must have gotten a steel door. Unless its a door that doesn't get used that often, or you simply don't care, ive given up on steel doors. They dent VERY easily. In my mudroom project, I went with all fiberglass. More $, but no dents. The stupid six panel fire rated door to the garage cost me $600 in fiberglass too... In comparison to the same door at $200 in steel. That room has about $2500 in exterior doors in it, alone

Another reason why my 35 sq ft mudroom has taken almost two years. LOL

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
Added an end cap there in case i want to run one more to the back yard stove for bbq and cooking outdoor.

That is an awesome idea. No more propane tanks! My gas line is right on the wall next to the grill, too! I think I'm going to get that done eventually. Not confident in doing it myself.

• Moderators
That is an awesome idea. No more propane tanks! My gas line is right on the wall next to the grill, too! I think I'm going to get that done eventually. Not confident in doing it myself.

Not confident in running gas line? Easy stuff, just check for leaks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

WIndows aren't too too bad... Depending on the size, etc. Also - I wonder if any of your windows are framed, or if you'll have this same issue?

Yep, storm doors are pricey. I put in two of those Larson self-screen storing units. They actually roll up the screen inside a small area of the door. Pretty slick, but $250 or so.

Entry door at $147 - that's a deal. You must have gotten a steel door. Unless its a door that doesn't get used that often, or you simply don't care, ive given up on steel doors. They dent VERY easily. In my mudroom project, I went with all fiberglass. More $, but no dents. The stupid six panel fire rated door to the garage cost me $600 in fiberglass too... In comparison to the same door at $200 in steel. That room has about $2500 in exterior doors in it, alone

Another reason why my 35 sq ft mudroom has taken almost two years. LOL

Windows are all the same... I have zero studs on the exterior walls.

My neighbor has one of those roll up screen doors like you mentioned. He paid extra for that door because it's got a permanent glass window on the bottom (has dogs that have torn the screen before) and the glass/screen on top. No dogs in my house so an extra $100 in my pocket.

Yes, steel door. I was originally looking for fiberglass but there weren't any local places with a 30x80 right hand inswing door in stock, or any right hand inswing in any size for that matter. It seemed every fiberglass door came left hand.

If/when I do the windows, I'm investing in a hammer drill and putting the Tapcons into the brick. Putting them into 75 year old mortar seems sketchy to me.

• Moderators
How do you make sure there are no leaks? And how would you ensure it would stay leak free in all temperature conditions?

Soap and water in a spray bottle, soap and water in a cup with a paint brush... Lots of ways. There are pre-mix solutions to get to check too, or just sniffing for it.

Temp shouldn't change anything.

Yeah that. It's just threaded pipe fittings with tape or goop. Pressurize it with gas and check for leaks.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Speaking of gas explosions, my Mom's boyfriend http://m.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/resident-critical-in-eastern-ave-explosion-nearby-gas-leak-found/article_9bcfa581-2706-5b9a-a837-57018bad5b8f.html?mode=jqm

Only his face and hands got seriously burned since he was still in uniform. He has since fully recovered and rebuilt the house. Luckily my Mom and sister weren't there that morning. He moved in with us until he recovered and they finished rebuilding his home.

• 1 month later...

I attached pictures of one of the largest projects I have completed. Hopefully they show up in order.

The base was made using 30" wall cabinets built up on a 6" platform. The counter top was made using a 3/4" MDF base, and 3/4" pre-fab panels on top (screwed and glued to make it solid and 1.5" thick overall). Faced with 1x2 to make it look like a butcher block style top. Stained + five coats of varnish.

The shelves were made out of MDF and poplar. Painted them in my yard with a spray gun, then installed and caulked all the seams to hide shadows. I made everything slightly short in height so it was easy to install, and used crown molding at the top to hide the gap (inside and out). Since the shelves split the existing return air grate, I built a custom one using stamped sheet metal.

For scale, this is 14.5 feet wide and 9 feet tall. That is a 60" TV in the last picture. I did not add up all the costs, but the cabinets were the most expensive single component. The rest was just wood and labor.

01.thumb.JPG.5869c984b630e4b652d33242ada7d002.JPG

02.thumb.JPG.772655fdf7af408f702b56e0fd2b4ea0.JPG

03.thumb.JPG.967dc1b3c5fd8c2aad4a8ea55598b2b3.JPG

04.thumb.JPG.8a2fa388f4f5964435d203c522718c5f.JPG

05.thumb.JPG.d7866b3fc54819e146ecf3ea47657d24.JPG

06.thumb.JPG.ad50db1db5dbb3e0cc4b5d488344e0e4.JPG

07.thumb.JPG.773088c789eafa0b56f4d5dc427aeaa8.JPG

08.thumb.JPG.533269cd74855dee6ed7886dc9d84995.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever install a new shower/tub surround with an existing tub?

I've got an old porcelain coated, cast iron tub that's great. I'd rather not rip it out because there's nothing wrong with it. I just want to make sure that the 3-piece direct-to-stud surrounds you can get at Home Depot and Lowe's will work with it... Most times I see people getting the matching tub to go with the surround but I'd imagine the surrounds have to be somewhat compatible with an existing tub for people doing what I'm trying to do.

Planning on gutting and re-doing my bathroom during the week before 4th of July so expect some pictures.