LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

I think I posted before, but this is my basement.... The ceiling tiles were expensive as all hell, but (imo) much nicer than the commercial flat style.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/ee6f94045aaafbeb83f645fac7d5fee1.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/16a45f731f5960b3fa259ca6f46090be.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closeup of ceiling tiles

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/b06cfe6b0b5866ae5bc6b2c0e9fbfe82.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/c9c3eb16bf5cb951cb858c1a7705068b.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/cdf9da7380d18b37005cdeaff5690b90.jpg

• I Donated

I like the recessed lights. I've been thinking of going with those in the rec room, and I think you just convinced me. Might do them in my office while I'm at it.

I do know what you're talking about with those tiles. There is a building at work that has them. I think they make sense for the rec room but not the rooms behind doors. How much did you spend on them? And how do you handle tiles that are not full size?

Recessed lights are sweet... I have them on three different circuits, so you always get what you need. I think I have 33 of them in the basement!

As far as cutting the tiles go, you have to cut them and leave a bevel, so its a bit more work. Not sure if they make a tool for it. I had a ceiling company put the ceiling in. Pretty much the only thing I subbed out in the entire basement. I bought the ceiling tiles at HD. I don't remember what they cost, but they are Armstrong... I can get the model number if you're interested... I think they were like $1.50 a sq ft (materials only).

yeah... the basement took us four years as it was! I was getting close to the end, and we had family coming a few months later, so we stepped it up! Pretty much everything else was the wife and I. Friends helped a couple days here and there with electrical and plumbing too.

I hated trimming ceiling tiles when I worked for a home remodeling company... Especially the recessed ones like those because you had to bevel the cut edge to make it sit right. The guy I worked for ended up having me do the field and he did the borders. :lol:

I think I posted before, but this is my basement.... The ceiling tiles were expensive as all hell, but (imo) much nicer than the commercial flat style.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/ee6f94045aaafbeb83f645fac7d5fee1.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/27/16a45f731f5960b3fa259ca6f46090be.jpg

Nice man cave while still keeping it classy enough for the wife, dig the surround sound setup and the bar. Ceiling tiles were a nice touch too. Wish I had space that I could work with for something like this, but I don't have the floor plan for it. Maybe when th kids grow out of the play room, but it's upstairs over the garage and about as far away from the kitchen as you can get.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Nice man cave while still keeping it classy enough for the wife, dig the surround sound setup and the bar. Ceiling tiles were a nice touch too. Wish I had space that I could work with for something like this, but I don't have the floor plan for it. Maybe when th kids grow out of the play room, but it's upstairs over the garage and about as far away from the kitchen as you can get.

Thanks man!! We use it pretty often too. Almost nightly.

Another pic of the bar area. Did accent wall, and 'tin style' ceilings for that pub vibe.

There's also a door to the bulkhead that you cant quite see. It's a 200 or so year old door from a local college that I was able to purchase and completely refinish and cut down to size to fit.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/16529f91cdc30ccd3636787a65cecbc1.jpg

Love the pub feel. A+

Guys, need some advice. I have a roughly 3/8" rise from the hardwood in my living room to the tile in my foyer. I have a transition strip sized properly for the rise and cut to length, but how would you guys attach it to the floor? I've used brass screws on other strips in the house but I'm not crazy about the look seeing as the screw heads are flat and the transition is rounded. This is not one of those snap down style strips... Needs screwed or nailed.

I'm thinking 2" brads maybe? Fill the holes?

20150328_115117.thumb.jpg.d2b43eb04c1604abd1bbc30927d33d3a.jpg

20150328_115025.thumb.jpg.b56020b2f3800010151e459e37213d03.jpg

• I Donated
When the flooring guys did our basement, they glued down the transitions and put wide masking tape on to hold them in place while the glue dried. But of course, that was with a concrete slab subfloor, not wood.

Great thread. We built in 2010 and I am constantly trying to think of ways to upgrade. This year will be a 150' asphalt drive ($$$). Right now I am building built-ins which are 16' long and 9' tall. Its been an intensive project.

We will eventually finish the basement. I will need to add plumbing for a bathroom, but we will need to pump out to our septic system. So, I either have to cut the concrete away and plumb into a sealed crock... or buy one of those above-the-floor systems where the grinder pump sits behind the wall and you build up the shower and toilet. Like this:

Does anyone have experience with these systems / any advice?

http://www.saniflo.com/upload/images/EXTEPIPECROPWEBSITE.jpg

My friend's house is similar and would need one of those if they were to add a bathroom to their basement.

The decided against a basement bathroom (have 3 others in the house already) just because they didn't want to deal with that thing if/when it fails.

Does anyone have experience with these systems / any advice?

Yep!

When we finished the basement, the first thing I did, was the bathroom. As you know, a basement bathroom is a bit of an undertaking, as you're below the sewer lines (septic/city, regardless).

We did the Saniflo upflush system, and have been very happy. We've had it for about 6 years, and it gets a decent amount of use. It's not our 'primary' bathroom, but my office is in the basement too, and im there 5-6 days per week, and we're in the family room almost nightly... So it sees some action LOL.

We did a three piece bathroom, toilet, sink, and shower. You're right in the application. The sink and the toilet are relatively easy, however the shower ptrap is the bitch. So... we did a bit of a platform for it, and due to height restrictions, I actually broke the foundation floor to recess in a portion of the ptrap. Our sump pump is only about 8 feet away, so im not too worried about ground water, plus, I did re-cement the opening I made with hydraulic cement beneath the ptrap, and into the existing concrete floor. No issues yet knock on wood!!! You can see in my pics that we just finished the platform with some nice base trim, and it came out decent!

The other option is to dig a huge ass hole and do a sewer ejector pit. Its the same concept as the saniflo/upflush, but it all happens in the ground more or less, and it's harder to access.

Also - if you have the ability, put the mascerator pump behind the wall like in the picture you posted. I put mine behind the wall as well, and I think it makes a WORLD of difference with aesthetics. My BIL put his right behind the toilet, in the bathroom - and it stands out a bit. Not horrible, but still.... Its a bit tougher to work on behind the wall - but still. Worth it IMO.

Install wasn't too bad. Straight forward. All PVC. Follow the manual recommendations on angles, especially where you connect to your waste pipe. You will also need to run a vent. Being the basement, we followed building code, and ran it all the way into the attic, and connected it there, just to be safe, and do it right.

In 6 years, we had one issue.. The pump stuck on, so I had to unplug it.... I tore it apart (mildly gross), and cleaned it all up, and it works perfect again. I since found out that scale will sometimes build up inside the pump, and cause this issue... So I bought the $45 a gallon descaler from the mfg after reading a ton of reviews that it remedies that same problem I had (unfortunately, I didn't know about it till after I tore it apart!). I dump some in ever 6-12 months, and no issues at all.

Tldr - I recommend the Saniflo. :)

Here are a couple pics. Small bathroom, so tough to snap pics.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/bd575b22a5e92f3e74a5b650ce75d83a.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/9397d6000806585736fe74ab2b75e7b5.jpg

Edited by jasejase

Just realized I never posted some pictures of my foyer tiling job.

Sub-sub floor - 1x8 pine after removing plywood subfloor covered in glue from linoeum

Sub floor specific liquid nails down for new OSB sub floor

Hardie backer down after thinset layer

Hardie backer seam taping and mudding

Faux marble tile down and grouted, baseboard up, caulked, door casings up, some nail holes filled, gaps caulked, walls painted. Door still needs painted (waiting for better weather) and closet door needs cut down, need transition strips. Need to fix/replace mail chute door. Need to rebuild front door threshold because it's rotting on the outside and the door would be custom so $$$$ to replace.

New light fixture

20150103_144941.thumb.jpg.d07bdc2a35826b3b823a8c426cac1b8f.jpg

20150104_125140.thumb.jpg.c1acb435fe9d478c6f170b41a810e691.jpg

20150104_165443.thumb.jpg.fdaeab8b7a3c2af462939359c194ba86.jpg

20150104_171151.thumb.jpg.fd41fc906e8c4916214bb0b9d212faf8.jpg

20150328_184634.thumb.jpg.445f45782903b8945d57565d606031c8.jpg

20150328_184706.thumb.jpg.360908de26574ab69096d062cb9e09ce.jpg

Edited by baconbits

Where do i find cheaper, bright 4" LED Recessed light? Lowes seem to has the brightest 665lm but $55/ea, Home Depot $47 but only 550lm, Costco and Sams only has the retrofit kit only 500lm.

uploadfromtaptalk1427585937362.thumb.jpg.162bde38009836c68556c9f44e07ef73.jpg

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• I Donated
I'm well aware of dimmers. He was talking about replacing existing lights with LED retrofits, and IMO, you should consider the brightness of the previous bulbs and whether they were adequate for the space, rather than just buying the brightest bulbs possible. I have gone the "brightest bulb possible" route before and ended up never turning the dimmer above halfway. It's all about what makes sense for the space.

FFFFFUUUUUU

Woke up at 6 this morning to a burning rubber smell and the house 10 degrees colder than set point. Blower motor on the furnace appears to have taken a dump.

Fan won't turn on during heat cycle after burners fire. Fan won't turn on with heat off and fan set to circulate but will hum. Cage spins freely from what I can tell (doesn't hang up or drag anywhere). Son of a...