LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.

I'm familiar with the cheetah ones. I've put one or two in. I can't remember the brand of mine... It's great, just not super flush. Meh. F it. Lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWN37nbcIrs]Mount Your Screen Into a Recess with B-Tech's BT8310 - YouTube[/ame]

If you got the room this is the way to go imo. not sure on price though.

Currently debating on adding some crown molding, as my sanding skills are very subpar.

Unless your walls intersect at perfect 90° angles, have fun coping and sanding the inside joints to make them look nice.

I put crown molding up in two rooms and it was a biiiiitch.

Lots of wood filler/caulk and sanding!

My neighbor and I play "Keeping up with the Jones'" when it comes to home remodeling stuff.

Our mantra is "Do your best, caulk the rest."

When doing crown molding, the one thing I can't stress enough - if you don't have a pneumatic finish or brad nailer, don't bother. Holding up a 12' or 16' piece and hammering a nail in is NOT going to happen.

I also subscribe to that! It's certainly applicable in older homes where the rooms may not be square!

I just tiled my front door foyer a couple weeks ago... what a disaster that was with how non-square the space was. Good thing my baseboard is 11/16" thick and I'm putting up 3/4" shoe molding. :rolleyes:

Installing crown molding is so much fun, especially when you have many different angles to work with:):spin:

It took me, no joke, 20 minutes to figure out how to cut the crown molding in a miter saw the first go around. I had a single bevel saw so it only turned... no tilt. :spin:

Yeah... most ppl just think you have to cut it on a 45 and you're done. LOL

Glad the foyer came out well!

I have to post some before and afters on my 18 month mudroom project. LOL... it's still not quite done. a couple of finishing touches left. But, i'll wait till it warms up a bit first. :)

I'm dragging my feet finishing the foyer. Still need to pull the old casing off the front door and closet and put up matching trim (why did I use fluted through the house??????)... need to buy that and some insulation still. I'm worried about getting it done in a timely manner given how drafty it is coupled with outside temps.

I've also sponged that damn tile 4 times and there's still grout film on it. :spin:

I'm dragging my feet finishing the foyer. Still need to pull the old casing off the front door and closet and put up matching trim (why did I use fluted through the house??????)... need to buy that and some insulation still. I'm worried about getting it done in a timely manner given how drafty it is coupled with outside temps.

I've also sponged that damn tile 4 times and there's still grout film on it. :spin:

Sounds like you tile like me. Lots of grout. Lol

Keep at that grout film. I was doing it every 2 hours for the first couple days. (Not all day). If you let it cure, that film will be forever.

LOL I just finished my tile backsplash a couple weeks ago too. film is mostly gone now :) After working on the tile for 3 weekends my wife looked at me and said "I think february's project should be an easy one..."

I just tiled my front door foyer a couple weeks ago... what a disaster that was with how non-square the space was. Good thing my baseboard is 11/16" thick and I'm putting up 3/4" shoe molding. :rolleyes:

It took me, no joke, 20 minutes to figure out how to cut the crown molding in a miter saw the first go around. I had a single bevel saw so it only turned... no tilt. :spin:

I had a compound miter saw and it was a PITA, you need extra molding to practice the cuts on, it's hard trying to figure it out sometimes. Caulk is your friend too!

• I Donated

Here's a before-and-after of my kitchen. Before was how it looked when we moved in, after is a picture from two or three weeks ago. Glass tile backsplash, repainted the yellow to blue, and replaced the ceiling fan with a pendant fixture from Lowe's. Total cost, including paying a college kid to paint, was around $550-600.

The under-cabinet lights were there before, but they didn't have much to highlight!

850446297_2013-12-0120_01.49-1.thumb.jpg.30aafc98c4c8b7dc276bada8b6db7bc3.jpg

1983967200_2015-01-1923_29.11(Large).thumb.jpg.4e24618263c581fd419785dbe523c9c2.jpg

This past year I bought my first compound mitre saw, and I can't believe how much quarter round I blew through trying to figure out the right way to make certain cuts. It probably doesn't help that I'm terrible at math, just wish I hadn't used oak quarter round since that project got a little more expensive than I had planned. I've never worked with crown molding, but it sounds like it can be as much fun as installing baseboard molding in an 80 year old house where none of the damn walls are straight.

• 3 weeks later...
With the onset of cold weather my wife and I found out why the previous owners sold the house in spring; the rooms farthest from the furnace just don't get enough heat and are subsequently cold. After some diagnosing and identifying which ducts were responsible for those rooms, I slapped some R-6 fiberglass & mylar around the ducts. Both of the rooms affected are bedrooms, and the bedroom on the first floor had an addition in the 70s for closets which were added onto the foundation with a small crawl space underneath. During my holiday break, I tackled both of these problems and vastly improved the comfort of our home. I'd say the bedroom is now 5 degrees below the rest of the house instead of 20 degrees below (yes, it was THAT bad). Once we got the bedroom temps up, we noticed that the closets were still cold even with the closet doors open, so I shimmied myself into the crawl space and glued some R-10 rigid foam to the foundation walls. Again, the difference is amazing!

Well continuing this saga, the rigid foam on the foundation walls did help to prevent all the cold air from penetrating the crawl space, but what cold air that did get into the crawl space made its way into our closets and thus our bedroom by way of a 3/4" hole drilled into the closet floor to allow the electrical wires to enter in. I pulled out the batted insulation, glued some more R-10 rigid foam between the joists to the rim joist and the sub floor, sealed all the gaps with expanding foam, then stapled Reflectix to the joists and taped the seams with metallic tape. Last night was the first night to make an evaluation, but it seemed to make a big difference.

Tonight I plan on finishing a few more joists and also sealing and insulating the return air duct that runs through that crawlspace

IMG_6242.thumb.jpg.ff207c95b3fef918ef7b301744dd8843.jpg

Quick question on tailing floors. Can I stop in the middle or is it recommended to finish entire floor in one session. I have over 200 sq ft and not sure if I can get it done at once.

I'd do the whole thing at once if you can. My dad and I did my kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room floors in a day (approximately a 14x30 area). Granted we used 16inch tile so there wasn't a whole lot of tile to put down but the hard part isn't putting it down. The hard part is in making the cuts to work around various things like doors, vents, and edges.