LegacyGT.com

Suzuki kizashi vs Subaru

The 00-02 4EAT Leggy's still used the MPT clutch unfortunately, hence why I added the diff lock mod on mine. It did seem to remedy the clunking of the system when the computer finally decided to add more power to the rear when the front slipped in snow. They varied the center diff in 03-04 with the introduction of the Sportshift and VDC. Also the 03-04 got the larger WRX sized 11.4" front rotors, which I'll be installing next week with new calipers. :lol:

Although I almost checked out a 2010 Kizashi that was still new on the lot last week, until I found the insurance was within $5/month of a '12 LGT.

• 3 weeks later...

Having only driven one for a half day on a bright sunny summer's drive, I can't speak to any experience with the Kizashi, but I will tell you this...

Here in the NE, we had a big snowstorm in October, and I was driving to home from Ikea Paramus that Saturday around noon along Route 10W - a Kizashi and I were pretty much the only two cars able to make it up and down the hilly section near Parsippany.

All these front wheel drive and 4WD SUvs were stuck in all three lanes and we were basically weaving slowly around all of them. It was quite a sight to see and I was so glad I had a capable car at that moment, despite all the mechanical troubles I've had with it. I also came away with some new found 'respect' for the Kizashi...a car I've always thought to be attractive and of sound engineering. I just keep thinking it needs a motor with more balls.

• 8 months later...

I had done some reading back when about the Quattro system and how the torsen center worked. I believe I had read that on its own as a center diff it could get into trouble in extreme 4 wheel low traction situations or if one wheel somehow came off the ground providing 0 traction. The diff relies on the torque of the wheel with the least traction to provide torque multiplication to the opposite side of the diff. 0 x anything = 0.

It really is never "perfect" until an LSD is added to the front and rear diff, or with elsd when it can use brakes to apply simulated traction to one wheel thus applying torque to one side of the center torsen.

With that said, it would be extremely difficult to find a situation where there is zero traction, and even if one wheel was in the air you could lightly press the brakes to simulate traction

I suppose bankruptcy of automobile branch of Suzuki is not that surprising. Their motorcycle market was hurting a few years ago. I don't think they even imported bikes into the US for 2010. Hopefully Hayabusa and M109R sales will continue. The prices make me long for the days of excess Suzukis and deep discounts in the pre 2010 era.

Archived