LegacyGT.com

15 MPG Any way to make it better

http://www.gstmotorsports.com/home/

Mr Warfield himself was the one who said just keep stock catback...

A link to their home page doesn't tell me anything... there are dyno results on this site of people who actually did it and it was more of a loss than you are saying, the stock mid/Y is tiny...

Check this out instead.... 2hp/20tq from someone who did a comparison, and this is stock cans with the mid/Y replaced, there is now way a stock CBE is just a 1-3 horsepower loss at 400hp as you suggest...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1532251&postcount=45

Get a protune. My advice since it hasn't been mentioned yet. I went from three tunes (OTS Cobb STG 2, TDC map and PDX Tuning map) to a VF52 tuned by Agile Auto.....not all at once obviously. Just by doing that I went from 17mpg (on all 3 tunes) to 22mpg and fwiw I pretty much only do city driving and I don't stay out of boost.

I was getting 17MPG when I first got my car (06 LGT) Now I get about 22 combine. Sometimes I can get up to 24MPG combine. For Gas do the Premium and a Fuel Cleaner every 4000 miles. For Gas I always go to Shell but if I have to stop on any other gas station I will go to Exxon. Clean your Filter and the MAF sensor with the MAF cleaner (don’t use brake cleaner) My Tire pressure I have it set to 36PSI in the front and 33 on the back. Keep the RPM under 3,400. This is the way I drive from Monday to Friday just for work and I travel about 20miles each way. I can drive the full week with just one full tank of gas and re-fuel by Sunday night assuming I don’t drive much on Saturday and Sunday. Also be gentle when taking off and don’t put the Car in neutral when going down a hill. Leave the car in 4th or 5th gear depending on the situation. On the highway I try to do no more than 75Mph just to stay under boost, Most of the time I keep it at 68Mph but ready for action if I have to speed up. Then again this is just me, everybody got their own style. So you have to find the happy medium. If I drive it like I stole it then I have to re-fuel every 3 to 4 days On a Full tank. Hope any of this can be of some help. This is my first legacy GT, I had a 06 WRX before and the driving was different.

On a Side note:

I also change my spark plugs and I have a K&N air filter with my stock air box. I took the other air box from the back of the fender out so I can get more direct air in to the intake. MY Oil is Synthetic with a Good oil Filter. I don’t have any other Mods yet but I am going to do some suspension work to improve the handling. Hard cornering can be a bit scary some time LOL….

I run 89 or better i drive at least forty miles a day with my 5speed and i get like 22-24. Its all about proper gas, proper maintenance and driving her easy.

Um. Yeah. Premium gas per manufacturer REQUIREMENT is not 89 octane.

Yea soft squishy winter tires, ski rack w/fairing, winter gas, and me not staying off boost all too often leads me to a 15mpg avg in the winter time. Im running street tuned Stage II and in the summer I can easily get close to 30mpg driving humanely on the highway. Put it into economy mode and its upwards of 35mpg!

Move someplace thats warm all year round. I was getting around 18.9 mpg in the summer and now get 15.9 mpg in the winter. The most Ive ever seen on the highway was 26 MPG.

Same case i'm in. Except I kind of struggle to get 17-18 mpg in the summer where I live. Every day I have to travel up and down many hills lol. Highest i've seen highway is 27.6 though.. I was impressed. :)

Unimpressed now at 15 mpg though..

• 2 weeks later...
Tune up, tire pressure, and driving habit changes will make a world of difference. Maybe lurk around some of the hypermiling driving technique forums and incorporate some of them into you driving. Or just think boring, boring driving usually gives the best gas mileage.

Only got a hair over 15MPG last time I filled up. But I do mostly stop & go driving and only have a 5 mile commute to work. So I've always gotten crappy winter MPG regardless of whatever car I've had. My old 95 Legacy got around the same in the winter, though at least that was with regular fuel.

And yes I check my tire pressures almost every week, usually use 37/35psi.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

My combined commute is highway and city, with traffic at a dead stop not being uncommon. I usually average about 20mpg, even in the winter. Cleaning your MAF and air filter regularly will help, along with the tire pressure mentioned. I'm looking for a set of STI wheels to really reduce my rotating mass for my 3 season tires. That'll help as well.

I'd like to get it higher than 20 MPG average, so if others have more suggestions, I'm all ears.

I've been clocking ~26mpg recently.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm getting about 21mpg on a Stage 2 Outback XT 5speed on the winter gas. Before the winter gas i was getting 24-25 without a problem. If you leave it in intelligent mode (on the cars with SI Drive) and you are really nice to it I'm getting 27-28mpg over the course of a tank. This requires not hitting much boost and very smooth acceleration. If you hit the highway at 68-70 I've seen it roll closer to 30-31 but that just doesnt happen for a whole tank so my average drops. And who can stay out of boost for an entire tank?

PS> For those of you in CT - I'm in Torrington.

Jeff

Dude, I know you're probably just trying to be helpful, but this is the third thread I've seen you post in where you're trying to scare the crap out of the OPs based on same vague symptom.... there is no need for that.

There are many factors involved that increases the fuel consumption in the winter - one is that the oil is thicker. Including the transmission oil. And it takes some time for it to heat up.

If you really want to check the fuel consumption you need to do a controlled test to get the true numbers.

453747.png

Archived