LegacyGT.com

Is it a normal sound?

2000 Legacy 2.5 NA Bone Stock

Hey guys, I had a valve/piston collision so I have my heads off and oil pan off. I’m turning the crank and at the top/bottom of the stroke (if I hand crank it at a medium pace) there is a low “thump” sound. Is this normal?

Sorry guys, no video right now. And I’m not sure how well you could hear it if I did.

Advice? Anything I should look for? Heads come back tonight!

Oh, and anyone know of a good reassembly walk-thru; yes I have a manual. Yes I have found several threads – just checking to see if anyone has anything better!

If you are turning the shortblock without the heads on and you hear a thump you there is a issue with your bottom end. IF you've paid to have the head rebuilt you NEED to tear the bottom end down and insect it. When you turn the bottom end do all the pistons move ? Sound like you jumped timing which is what caused the valves and pistons to hit

I was tinkering with this last night, and it makes no sound if i turn slowly. And if I roll it back and forth I get no ‘cluck’ sound. The more I messed with it I thought it might be the oil pump making a suction sound? But it only does it at TDC/BDC on the stroke.

Hmm top dead and bottom dead center with all pistons moving the only other thing moving is the oil pump. It is a good practice to remove the oil pump and reseal it with a new O-ring while you have it torn down. I would look there and make sure all the screws on the back of the pump are secure and the rotor is intact.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it is the oil pump. On the engine stand my brother and i turned the engine upside down and proceeded to crank while the other listened. A "whump, whump" sound can be heard coming from the pickup. Its all back together and in the car for a week now - it runs great.

Thanks for all the opinions guys!

Archived