LegacyGT.com

Shallow ramp OK for transmission extraction?

I am about to undertake the job of swapping transmissions in a 1995 Subaru Legacy. I would prefer to use a pair of home made wooden shallow ramps rather than jackstands. My plan is to run the front wheels of the car up the ramps which would place the wheels 9 or 10 inches off the ground. I think that would be fine for the preparative steps. However, would the resulting clearance (1 foot or so between the transmission and the ground) be sufficient when the time comes to pull the trans itself? I would rather not have to move the car when it's undriveable and wonder whether I should go with a pair of jackstands from the start. Any comments on how to set the car up for this job would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob

I would want a little more room than that. Plus you have to take the axles out of the transmission, which when I do it means popping the ball joints out and propping the strut/hub/wheel/axle out away from the body with about 1" long sections of 2x4

Not sure on the clearance but i took the trans out of my 97 and had quite a bit of clearance and still had a hard time getting it out from under the car, lucky it was dirt and it gave a little, here's a pic of what i had going, this also has 15" rims, so you can judge how high kinda

http://www.valleyeastringette.com/sub9.jpg

The jackstands at the back end of the outback scare me.

No kidding! :eek: I would have been afraid to get under that car while trying to get the tranny out.

You'll definitely want more room then 10 inches. I'd put it up on jackstands as high as it goes! The more room the better.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

OK -- Thank you gentlemen -- Jackstands with good clearance it is.

I'm going to practice getting the car set properly and securely. This morning I got hold of some 1ft by 1 ft 2inch treated lumber from Lowes as bases for some 3 ton jackstands I have my eye on.

I don't want my epitaph to read :

"He was a decent bloke, planted a few trees, but sadly had his life curtailed by a 16 ton Subaru"

Rob

Archived