LegacyGT.com

MAF O-ring?

I cleaned my MAF the other day and the stock o-ring has stretched to the point where it won't stay in the groove when I reinstall it in the MAF housing. I've gone to 5 different parts/hardware stores and can't find any that are the correct thickness to seal properly. The SAE sizes are either too thick or too thin, and I just can't find any metric orings anywhere.

Is there a subaru P/N I can't find or a confirmed size/place I can get one?

if you dry the o ring off it will shrink back to size

May be put it in some cold water...us guys know what that can do...LOL

Worst case put some non-silicone gasket sealer in the grove and let it tack it a bit then put the sensor back in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

May be put it in some cold water...us guys know what that can do...LOL

Worst case put some non-silicone gasket sealer in the grove and let it tack it a bit then put the sensor back in.

i wrote that .. then deleted that in fears you perfectionists would not approve

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i wrote that .. then deleted that in fears you perfectionists would not approve

Great minds think alike. I'd like to think there are a few of us around here that know how to improvise.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Why non-silicone?

On another note, you can also cut the gasket to make it shorter, then use some form-in-place gasket material for a good seal. Works great in a pinch.

I was waiting for someone to ask. Silicone is not friendly to O2 sensors. So you don't want to use it in the intake or exhaust system, pre O2 sensors.

I have a very smart Audifile buddy, he told me that. I'm sure there must be some info on the web about it.

I was waiting for someone to ask. Silicone is not friendly to O2 sensors. So you don't want to use it in the intake or exhaust system, pre O2 sensors.

I have a very smart Audifile buddy, he told me that. I'm sure there must be some info on the web about it.

This is 100% true. If you spray down your engine compartment with silicone to shine it up, order a set of oxygen sensors while your at it. If your using any type of form in place gasket make sure it is "oxygen sensor friendly".

Good to know. I would've thought that it'd be fine as long as you let it cure before re-installing it.

Archived