LegacyGT.com

So i am thinking about selling my car to carmax. 07 2.5i ltd

The car currently has 79k miles and it needs some body work.

I backed up into a tree and crushed the rear driver side lights and the side panel right next to the lights.

Also the car needs a tune up.

Other than that, it is a great car without any problems.

I am moving in a few weeks and wanted to do a quick sell so I wanted to know how carmax is with subaru legacy's.

Its the same exact car as in my profile. I got it brand new and its a one owner car.

I did a kbb estimate on resale value and with the worst condition, it came out to about 10k.

I am sure the body work and tune up wont be a few grand but maybe around a grand or so. So I am willing to be flexible on the price.

So anyone have any experiences with carmax or any suggestions?

Thank You~

• Moderators

Take it to carmax to see what they will give you. Take it to a body shop to see what they will charge for parts/repairs and get a written quote.

List it privately for whatever price you would like to get with the knowledge of how much the repairs will cost. If you can get more money privately do it with or without repairs.

Carmax will likely bend you over prison style...doesn't matter what kind of car you have, they lowball everyone. It's a business model and it works.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

BarMan is right. Carmax will give you bottom dollar, because people will historically accept it. They have cash, people like you need cash, they make it easy.

There are very few reasons to sell your car to Carmax.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Moderators
Why wouldn't they offer due to body damage? They have their own shop to fix that kind of thing...gives 'em an even bigger bargaining chip in terms of lowballing you as an owner because they have to go through the 'hassle' of fixing the vehicle (not really a hassle though since they have the resources and time to fix pretty much anything and don't have to worry about using the vehicle to commute, etc.)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

okay i got the appraisal and it was 7.5k because of the so called frame damage. Due to the big dent on the quarter panel on the rear.

So i went to two body shops and asked if it was frame damage and they gave me a frowning face. And said that is not true.

And carmax also said because of the frame damage, they can only offer WHOLESALE price. I asked if I get the car fixed, will they raise the price. The guy at carmax said that probably wont make a difference and it will probably decrease the value.

Looks like I will just get it repaired through insurance and sell above 10k. Wonder what the offer would have been w.o the damage.

I attatched the pictures and you can obviously tell the damage.

IMAG0115.thumb.jpg.906eb40b063280d53e132618790e226c.jpg

IMAG0116.thumb.jpg.d6a4b30bd56084aec9bf08ec2ca6f61b.jpg

IMAG0118.thumb.jpg.4c3b69d5dd756be9bf770aba99145131.jpg

IMAG0119.thumb.jpg.cd5a73c96c2d3ac6d0e54269df3416b0.jpg

IMAG0120.thumb.jpg.54e5b9bed563b1145634e22e6f19214a.jpg

Also, don't put too much stock in the KBB value. Over the last few years KBB has formed an alliance with the car manufacturers and tend to jack up the values on used cars a bit. Check it out on http://www.nada.com

They are a little closer to the real values.

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Archived