LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing #4 Misfire

After all of the work that my friend and I have done to his legacy - 6K miles after the Head Gasket job, he is getting a constant misfire code on #4 - Pulled spark plug and absolutely DESTROYED with carbon on it.... everywhere. Got new plugs for all 4 (All the plugs were replaced about 5K before HG issue, and nicely cleaned before use after the job, along with the coil and wires)

Even after replacing all the plugs, we are still getting a constant #4 misfire and the CEL is blinking rapidly.

I unplugged the injector for #4, and there was no change to the way it was running.

Could this be a stuck injector - possibly in the open position, which would explain his rather horrid gas mileage and rich gasoline smell. (He is averaging 15-17 MPG) Also, the exhaust note sounds like a 4 cylinder running on all 4, not 3, and that after 4K RPM it runs fine while at idle and up to it is a bit rough.

Thanks for any help, getting tired of working on his legacy, while mine has been perfect for the 2 years I've had it (other than normal wear and tear of course)

Edit*** All vacuum lines have been checked and are in good order.

Well, we got our answer of what happened today. Head gasket failure again. Taking shortcuts by not getting the heads checked has doomed us. Engine being pulled Saturday. Heads to shop Monday, hopefully replacement aren't needed.

How did it fail? I mean what led you to this conclusion?

I used Subaru HG's, And I was led to this conclusion because coolant is starting to bubble/fizzle out of the overflow - Havent gotten around to a compression/leakdown test, but after it started doing that again - before long it will start overheating again. We didn't get the heads checked for warpage or cracks the first time.

Just in case - we are lining up a pair of rebuilt heads for a good price ($250/pair) The only issue will be shipping from KC,KS to me in Rock Hill, SC. Either way - pretty sure that is less than the 450-500/head from anywhere in my area.

Not really, you can rebuild head with no issues. I would take them to a good machine shop, one that has done subarus would be best. Have the heads decked, new valve stem seals, regrind the seats and valves and they will be like new.

I got my engine rebuilt by a subaru mechanic when the head gaskets went out about a year ago and started getting random misfire codes on the freeway only when I cruised above 70 mph. If I stayed below I was fine. It never changed how it ran but would blink at first, then be solid for a week or 2, then dissapear on its own. Last weekend it came on when I started it and was running rough for a few mins then smoothed out and is running fine but still has the code. When I had my engine rebuilt I used some crappy Autozone plugs and wires so I hope replacing them with NGK plugs and OEM wires will fix it. I hope my misfire code doesn't turn into a big hassle. Just make sure the mating surfaces of the block and heads are perfect so it gets a good tight seal all over.

Archived