LegacyGT.com

First to second transmission problem -- need advice

I have just obtained a 1995 Subaru Legacy automatic wagon (BK) with 190K (transmission type=TZ102ZAAAA). There are several problems, but the main one is that the shift from first to second is often difficult and delayed (high revs reached before it shifts).

A local mechanic diagnoses a new transmission and a cost of $2600 to install a reconditioned one.

The car does not have any rust to speak of so I'd like to keep it. I'm contemplating doing this job myself in my driveway (I have a second car to use so I can take my time). Before I undertake this job, what testing ( adjustments or other action) can I do to ensure that this is really necessary?

Thanks,

Rob

If you are referring to the rough jolt between first and second, it's a common issue that develops in these transmissions when you get to higher mileage. When you first start the car, the transmission will hold the lower gears longer to help the car warm up faster. Unfortunately this only exaggerates that rough jolt. I think some people have eased the problem (which I think people say is just sticky valves ) by doing a fluid change, but it's not really something that warns of imminent failure. It's just a nuisance. I'm at 250k and it's been doing it for the past 50k miles.

fluid change is going to be your best hope. do 3 drain and fills with driving in between. this will cost you about 3 gals of ATF. a cheap fix if it works and not a lot wasted if it doesn't.

the only other hope MIGHT be a new valve body, it has all the solenoids in it. but that is a really long shot and there is no real evidence to suggest it will work.

you are probably looking at a used replacement trans. you can do it in your driveway if you have an understanding wife / family / neighbors. the only really hard part is lifting the trans up to install it. none of it is rocket science, but it is big , heavy, mechanical nuts and bolts.

where are you located? i have one in my shed i'd be willing to sell out of a 95 w/ 100k miles.

Archived