LegacyGT.com

Noise on cold start ups (20F-)

to clean sludge i put 2L of oil and then over fill it with another 8L of diesel fuel. let run for 20 min and then drain and put new oil.

the over filling makes lots of splashy splashy and foam witch cleans very nicely.

but frequent oil changes will prevent sludge from accumulating

Some people might take you seriously

ya i'd be hesitant to put hella diesel in my car that i make payments on that has over 100k mi on it. i changed the oil myself yesterday and went straight synthetic. I usually have the dealership do it but i dont know what they use; usually the $30 quick change they do. But of course it was 75* today so my car started fine w/out noise.

But i also think i might notice a slight loss in power from the turbo. I dont know if its me but it seems like in 2nd or 3rd im not pushed back into my seat as much. all stock other than a spt cbe.

^ so don't pt diesel in if your scared .. over fill it with oil then run 20-30 min then drain all and continue oil change like normal. but this is only to remove sludge from engines that were neglected. this will not stop any kind of noisy start up.

but there is nothing wrong with diesel in the oil , dont go driving it around just idle and a few revs. the oil mixed in there is enough to lube at low speeds and low loads.

fyi most engines can idle 5 min with no oil with no damage

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

ya i'd be hesitant to put hella diesel in my car that i make payments on that has over 100k mi on it. i changed the oil myself yesterday and went straight synthetic. I usually have the dealership do it but i dont know what they use; usually the $30 quick change they do. But of course it was 75* today so my car started fine w/out noise.

But i also think i might notice a slight loss in power from the turbo. I dont know if its me but it seems like in 2nd or 3rd im not pushed back into my seat as much. all stock other than a spt cbe.

I've run Shell Rotella 15w-40 in my 05 the past 3 or 4 summers. You don't have to worry it good oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i have issues with running thicker oil than engine recomended.

what ends up happening is the oil is harder to force through and in turn less oil is pushed through the bearings and more oil is spit out the pressure bypass.

so for those who put on a sti oil pump with out doing any other modifications and putting thicker oil all your doing is burning up hp by heating more oil.

if your engine has now looser clearances ie proformance bearings witch are .002 bigger to allow for more oil flow like race engines are then your taking advantage of the higher oil flow pump and thicker oil.

another down side to the thicker oil is that it flows less and in turn also cools less. i have seen many bearings on engines that were simply over heated but still have the coating on them. the surface looks like there are spider webs in them. this is from the coating expanding to much due to the heat.

a propor engine should have oil thickness related to oil pressure of the bypass.

when you rev your engine there is a sharp raise in oil pressure then a upper limit this upper limit is your bypass setting .

if your car is idleing and you rev it and the oil pressure is not moving you have to thick of oil. this is your bypass is opening at idle . thus meaning you have the same amount of oil flowing through your engines bearings at idle as at 6000 rpm. this is not optimized.

when running the correct oil you have your peak oil pressure at ~5000 rpm.

if you have an old worn engine you run thicker oil to conpensate. to reach peak pressure at ~5000 rpm.

for people running thick oils in stock engines your doing more harm than good.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived