LegacyGT.com

Tune up info

So I just got an 08 Spec B with 65,000 on it and it seems like it's time to do everything routine.

I read the oil thread and am going with Red Line

I'm also probably going to do the plugs, and filters.

Everything is pretty much stock the car will have a down/up pipe as well as a tune and cat back. Should I stick with stock plugs or go a step colder? Also any suggestions or filters, trans/diff fluids?

Thanks

My car's not a sleeper it's a hibernator.

http://pure-tuning.com

I though 08 came catless on the up?

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

I'm not religious on the oil, as I have run Pennzoil and Mobil 1 5w-30 without any issue in excess of 5k miles. I don't burn any.

For plugs - get the NGK stock heat or one step colder, whichever is cheaper. Both run fine.

Stock oil filters work great, as does Subaru Extra-S gear oil for the R160 stock diff w/ 5MT cars and any MT trans. Since you have a specB with the R180, I believe you need to get the specific R180 gear oil.

The above statement is correct. 07+ cars came with catless up. Save yourself $150 and hours of labor :)

I though 08 came catless on the up?

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

I really wouldn't know I'm so new to these cars (still learning them), I should probably look, so the up pipe is exhaust to turbo?

The last project I had was a iron block/head GM L67 (3800 roots Supercharged) 2004 Impala SS

My car's not a sleeper it's a hibernator.

http://pure-tuning.com

I really wouldn't know I'm so new to these cars (still learning them), I should probably look, so the up pipe is exhaust to turbo?

The last project I had was a iron block/head GM L67 (3800 roots Supercharged) 2004 Impala SS

He's correct about the UP. I'd stay with stock heat. Colder plugs are only needed when going beyond a modest stage 2.

do your diff and transmission fluid aswell. Your spec's gear box has 2 drain bolts, and fills from the dipstick (near the firewall on the passanger side).

I used synthetic gear oil 75w90 in both transmission and rear diff.

Ok

Subaru Extra-S check

NGK's check

Red Line 5w-30 check

Other crap for a 60,000 mile car- check

Newb informed- check

Panties dropping... pending.

My girlfriends panties just hit the floor while I was reading this but Im quite sure it had nothing to do with your tune up! :)

I'm using Motul gear oil in my 6MT and it made a pretty big difference in shifting compared to the factory fill. Especially when it was cold.

I'm also using stock heat plugs with my built motor. I felt the one step colder didn't idle as nicely.

I also use 5w40 oil with Subaru OEM blue filters.

Also, get a Fumoto drain valve.

We're running redline motor oil, and I would have run their diff fluid if it was available locally. Have it in my S and it just works. However we have M1's gear oil which was the #2.

I believe at 60K

1. Air filter

2. Cabin filter

3. Tranny fluid

4. Diff fluids

5. Spark plugs (they are a PITA to do yourself)

6. Oil/Filter

7. Rotate tires

8. Check brake fluid/power steering fluids replace if very dark

While you're rotating tires check calipers, disc and pads.

Ive noticed through using a bunch of different oils, my car likes rotella the best. Doesn't use a drop. Even RP burned in my car. Also, DO NOT use the blue oil filters. They are made by honeywell which is made by fram. They are junk. Run PureOne, they are only like $6 and really a quality product. One step colder plugs require a tune I believe so just go to subaru and buy stock plug (I did mine in a hour and a half, it sucks but if you have a wide variety of tools it shouldn't be too too bad).

Ive noticed through using a bunch of different oils, my car likes rotella the best. Doesn't use a drop. Even RP burned in my car. Also, DO NOT use the blue oil filters. They are made by honeywell which is made by fram. They are junk. Run PureOne, they are only like $6 and really a quality product. One step colder plugs require a tune I believe so just go to subaru and buy stock plug (I did mine in a hour and a half, it sucks but if you have a wide variety of tools it shouldn't be too too bad).

We've been running redline 10w40 and it appears to consume about 1/2qt in 7500 miles.

Also, DO NOT use the blue oil filters. They are made by honeywell which is made by fram. They are junk.

The two companies are kept separate in their manufacturing. Completely different filters between the two.

Also, find me an aftermarket oil filter with the same bypass pressure rating.

The two companies are kept separate in their manufacturing. Completely different filters between the two.

Also, find me an aftermarket oil filter with the same bypass pressure rating.

this. subaru oem filter FTW all the way, your bearings will appreciate it.

Archived