LegacyGT.com

Plastic cover hanging down under engine

My wife's Outback seems to have a round, flat black plastic cover hanging down under the engine. As far as I can tell, it has tabs on opposite ends that are used to secure it to the engine with screws. It looks like one screw has come out, so that you can rotate the plastic piece around on the other screw. Does anyone know what this piece is and whether it's necessary? I just had the car in for an oil change and I'm hoping the tech didn't leave it that way. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's too cold out (OK, I'm just too lazy) to get under there and see what's really going on. Thanks.

I think you're talking about the plastic undertray. It is in no way attached to the engine, only the subframe, near the front bumper, and the wheel wells.

There should be some plastic pop-its that hold the oil access panel in place, with a metal screw to rotate it.

You can get the pop-its from autozone/advance/pep boys

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_5/body_equipment_exterior/under_cover_and_exhaust_cover/illustration_1/ (I assume you are referencing part #8)

It doesn't sound like he's talking about the entire undertray but just the oil filter access panel like doc noted. You can get replacement pop-its or just use zip ties to secure it - I lost a couple a few years back and now just use zip ties. It's cold but it shouldn't take more than a couple of mins - especially since you don't even need to jack the car up or use ramps with the extra clearance of the Outback.

You can get the plastic clips and repair it yourself. The Dealer clips are about $2.00 a piece.

If it's just the oil filter cover, pull it off and forget about it.

My 05 has a piece of the cover missing for years now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can get the plastic clips and repair it yourself. The Dealer clips are about $2.00 a piece.

If it's just the oil filter cover, pull it off and forget about it.

My 05 has a piece of the cover missing for years now.[/QUOT

$2 a piece......what a ripoff!!! I know a while back I went into the dealership and asked for 20....... When he told me how much I promptly gave them all back and made do with my broken clips!!!! :lol:

Archived