LegacyGT.com

05LGT with STi 6spd?

Aethersnap

Im currently a looking to pick an 05LGT 2.5GT and would eventually like

to swap in an STi 6spd transmission ideally with the DCCD...

Probably a dumb question, but do I need to find one with the stock 5spd or can the swap be done in an automatic legacy just the same?

Cant wait to find my wagon... =)

Thanks, Aether...

much easier with a 5spd. but you will spend less if you find a 07+ spec b that already has one in it.

Thats true if u get a comparable year and mileage, but from what I have seen people quoting on the 6 spd swap, you could get a 05-06 LGT manual with just under 80k for $15000 and still be cheaper than most Spec B's after the swap(depending on driveshaft and diff you use). It would be hard to find one with mileage that low but they are out there. All the manual wagons I have found have been 100k miles or more however. but they are also $9k-$11k.

Edit: In case you are wondering I have been on the hunt for the perfect legacy so I have seen a lot of prices and done lots of research. I also am considering getting a older cheaper LGT manual and doing an 6spd swap with the money i save on the car.

in general, a properly done 6spd swap(using a low miles trans with r180 rear diff and spec b axles/driveshaft, brand new clutch and all the other smaller parts) will come in around $7k to as much as $10k, not including labor if you are paying someone. so unless you find a lgt for very cheap, you are better off sourcing a spec b.

you may be able to find a 07 spec b for around or under 20k at this point.

It is a tough call. Personally, my take is to not buy a car you plan on doing major surgeory on unless it is dirt cheap. We swapped a 6mt from a spec b into an 05 5mt outback and it wasnt bad but took a lot of extra bits to complete it. The customer knew it and was ok with it ahead of time. In the end it worked out nicely.

Mike

If you want a wagon with a 6 Speed, the only way is to do a swap. Mine cost close to 7K including all parts and labour. Best thing i ever did to the car.

$7k is probably a good number in terms of what someone will actually pay for the swapover for parts, labor, incidentals.

-Mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

If you want a wagon with a 6 Speed, the only way is to do a swap. Mine cost close to 7K including all parts and labour. Best thing i ever did to the car.

Well having this come from someone who lives near me is reassuring.

Did you do the swap yourself? Swapshop? Lachute Performance?

Also, this is a long term goal, I also want to swap in Brembos and a STi engine... or just turbo and heads + goodies... we will see.

Archived