LegacyGT.com

belt broke during start.. valves ok?

ok so the belt broke last night after a good 2-3weeks of solid perfect running. now i try to start the car and nothing, .. i imediatly looked the engine over because its always fired up. so i look it all over, nothing wrong. tried to start again. nothing. so i look in the crack on the timing cover and the belts nowhere to be found. it didnt break while driving must have broke while starting,. what are the chances the valves didn't get bent? might i just need a new belt or am i gonna need to replace the valves?

yes i guess the chip in the 1 cam sprocket fucked up the belt. im not good at listening i gotta learn the hard way i hate it.

2 weeks ago i replaced head gaskets, intake valves, and belt. but while i was tightening the cam sprocket for the driver side ex cam a buddy of mine decided to hold it in place with a crow bar while i was tightening it and cracked a tooth on the cam. i didn't think much of it, it was a small chip and wasn't very big and i was warned but suborn me didn't listen. i just got back from the junk yard, there was a legacy outback with a 2.5 in it, the cam sprockets were in perfect condition along with the belt idlers and waterpump, the belt still had the markings and writing on it, looks like it was all just replaced. what luck!!! so i took the waterpump and belt n idlers and timing cover. now the motor looks identical. the 97 outback and 97 legacy motors r the same right?

only if they both have 4 cam sprockets.

the outback is / should be an ej25.

the legacy L is / should be ej22.

the legacy GT is / should be ej25.

the ej22 and the ej25 do not use the same timing belt. but all other timing components are the same for 1999 and earlier.

later in phase 2 engines, 00 - 01, the ej22 and the ej25 used the same belt.

• I Donated

"this content is unavailable" error on your pictures.

If you have a 97 Outback (should have the EJ25D 2.5L DOHC engine unless its been swapped out), your valves are trashed.

I hate to be the person who gives you bad news, but you're probably looking at some major work ahead of you.

Like its already been said...do a leakdown check. Google it. If thats something you don't think you can do, buy a compression tester and do a compression check. That will also tell you if you did engine damage. Both checks are pretty standard...so info on how to do them is easy.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Ok the bolt came out and I tried to turn it over after I got it back together and timed. The one side of the motor fires but the other side won't fire. So it wants to start but won't. Now the timing on the Pass side was good so i gonna do a comp test On that side to see if it's good. The driver Side has to be shot. So I'll be replacing that and if the pass side is shot I'll do that one to or else it will b okB

ok well i got the intake valves replaced. now somewhere along this process one of the plastic black half circle head-cam whatever pieces went missing. im not sure what to call them but adv auto couldn't find one nor Napa or auto zone. is this a dealer part? could i just slap something in place of it with some gasket sealer or permatex?

the part is about 2in in diameter, about half inch thick and a half circle located in the back of the head twards the firewall at the end of both camshafts. (on the head)

maybe even some duct tape? lol ducttape is LEGEN..................... wait for it............. DARY!

unless you are flat broke, you are going to replace the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug tube seals as well. just order them from an online dealer and move on.

subarupartsforyou.com or

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/oempartscat.html?osCsid=e7e6fd817b16b1a29d93b3d6ecdc98b9

you can replace all gaskets involved for $84.56 plus shipping.

Archived