LegacyGT.com

My free wagon is not so free

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookin' good alpha! When all is said and done, have a nice drive to AK. Another option instead of the ALCAN is to drive up to WA and take a three day ferry with your car up to AK. I took 8 days to drive up there from Seattle and took the ferry back. I saw a bunch of bears, some wolves, some coyotes, a few herds of caribou, and a lot of Canucks with strange accents on the way up there and a bunch of whales on the way back.

Jealous of that red!

Oh, man! Taking your car with you on a ferry would be awesome! I wish I could take my car with me when I went on a boat...
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Dude, it was! I just chilled out on the covered sun deck on a lounge chair in my sleeping bag. There were overhead heaters too. :cool: The deck was way better than the tiny cabins that cost a lot more. I kept my new husky puppy in the car since they wouldn't allow him on the deck.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my head gasket kit and we were starting to get the cams set, but discovered that my timing belt idler pully (the one with the teeth) is pretty bad. I am now considering getting a new water pump, belt, and pullies...Time is running out for me to drive this to Alaska, I may have to drive the ol' reliable Honda Civic and ship the Wagon so I can work on it later. This is what I'm considering buying http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=&uts=true&Ntt=DYWP277K1A+1996+Subaru+Legacy+Timing_Belt_Kit+Dayco&tpbSurutibekisubarulegacy19961999daycodywp277k1a1826558&tpbsendcid=tpbfroogle do you folks have any advice or experience with this type of thing?

Going with http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Timing-Belt-Component-Kit/_/N-jd3u1Z8zo4j?itemIdentifier=78093_198170_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Dayco-Timing-Belt/_/N-jd3u1Z8zn9s?itemIdentifier=707770_54642_0_

and

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-New-Water-Pump/_/N-jd3u1Z9pd8f?itemIdentifier=22238_118120_0_

due to a discount

Good news though, I removed that damn college sticker from the rear window!

ITime is running out for me to drive this to Alaska, I may have to drive the ol' reliable Honda Civic and ship the Wagon so I can work on it later.

Good news though, I removed that damn college sticker from the rear window!

Alpha, are you planning on moving to AK for a while? May I ask why? School? Job? Where? When?

I know a little bit about Alaska. There are lots of people that you will meet who will become your friends, and plenty more to take advantage of you. Just be smart and listen to your gut.

If you can get the subie ready in time, then you will be stoked to have the subie in AK. You can sleep in it, will do great in all conditions, etc. However, if you drive a Civic up there there are plenty of meth heads that you can sell it to once you arrive. :lol:

Shipping the wagon will be very spendy.

You don't really need a car in Alaska at first. Hitchhiking is relatively safe and kind of fun. Maybe you can just fly up there and store your wagon until you make some $$$.

I'm being relocated to Anchorage for work. I planned on leaving in the beginning of the second week in February so that I could catch the ferry in Bellingham on the 17th, but if I have to leave a little later I'll be driving the Alaskan Highway. My wife and 5 month old daughter and most of their assorted crap are coming along so, if I can get the Subaru to function reliably it'd be nice due to the increased cargo space and AWD.

My main concern is the amount of time required to get all of the pieces shipped to me and then put back under the hood. Either way, one of these cars is going to get shipped to Anchorage, but I was hoping I could ship the Honda (it's a 2006) since I plan on repainting the Subaru anyway....

...maybe the answer is to trade them both in and shoot for a newer Subaru =P

Yeah, if you have a wife and kid you'll need a car! :lol: When I wandered up to AK I was 19, had just broken up with my girlfriend, and had no responsibilities. I think I had about $20 bucks in my wallet. :)

I vote for keeping the subie too! But do what you gotta do!

Spending so far:

$260 the head gasket kit PT160200 GASKET SEAL KIT [Part# 10105AA401]

$200 sending heads to machinist

$400 water pump, timing belt, and timing belt components

$130 for oil & filter, air filter, radiator fluid/hoses (lower/upper), 2xthermostat and some part cleaner

$60 Food for person whose blood you see in the second picture in my last pics post.

Needless to say I'm saving a lot on labor and I get a nice project to work on, but I dislike doing this type of thing with a deadline hanging over me.

Carquest carries gate timing belt kits if you are in a rush to get parts. Rockauto also carries them and it takes about a week to have them shipped at most.

I highly recommend going with a gate timing kit, there is nothing better. (OEM is gates btw)

Yeah, once this situation gets worked out it'll be nice not having a car payment and being able to put money into maintaining/improving the vehicle. It's also pretty nice not having to worry about something like this happening again anytime soon because I'm getting in there and personally ensuring that things are in good shape.

Archived