LegacyGT.com

Coolant Draining Help !

I just noticed that my coolant in my 09 legacy gt is not original Subaru, since i did some reading i know its not good to put any other coolant . My question is , how do i remove the coolant from the filler tank on the side of the engine ? will it drain when i turn the plug on the bottom of my radiator ? or is there another way of draining it ? thx in advance

Yes, all of the coolant will drain out of the system through the bottom of the radiator. Be aware that if going from green to blue subaru coolant you must abide by the service interval of the green coolant until you flush again since some of the old green will remain this time.

thx a lot guys , really appreciate the help

Heres how i plan to do it , First im drain the old coolant then i will add Preston coolant system scanner , top out the radiator with distilled water , let it run for 10 min then drain it again , fill up with water , let it run , drain and finally add blue coolant .

scoobyscoodle do you still think i will need to bide by the service interval of the green coolant until i flush again?

Glad you found the right forum LOL, the post in Classified is garning some amusing responses.

As for your query, there really is only one type of coolant you should NOT use and that's the orange GM Dex-Cool. Lots of threads floating around about it, Cliff Note version is the OAT additive ( organic acid technology ) that extended the service life of the coolant. You'll see plenty of sludge/goo stories around including one from Import Tuner mag about their EJ20 rebuild.

So wait for the next scheduled interval IMO.

Yea sorry about that , Figured there willl be some amusing responses, but i wasn't sure how to delete it .I successfully switched to blue Subaru coolant without any problems since i already gotten it. Flushed it about 2 times plus ran some extra water through it, blue coolant looks nice and clean . Thx for all the help guys

Archived