LegacyGT.com

How do I remove the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve?

I would like to remove and clean mine. But, I think I located it, not quite sure. Anyone have any photos of where it is? Also, how do I get it off? Is it easy to remove? Do I need gaskets?

It looked like it's in an awkward place to remove. And I know how great cars run, when you remove them and clean them and put them back in. Mine idles a little funny sometimes. And it's pretty much the last possible fix, that I haven't done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WoQxA5q9io]How To Replace The Idle Air Control Valve On Your Older Subaru - YouTube[/ame]

Just found the above link. It shows how to remove and reinstall the IACV. It actually looks like a little more work than I would like to do. My hands are kinda big, and it's a tight spot.

It's about adjusting it when you put it back if

your idle has been weird. Either way there should

be 4 or 5 bolts and a line connected to coolant

on the bottom. You dont need to disconnect the

electrical component from the body. You can do

it the crappy way like I did my first time and shoot

it out/scrub it out with carb cleaner and a brush

or if you have a compressor you can buy an engine

cleaning kit for $8 and spray it out with gas. Either

way, if you're gonna clean it, clean it big. Get in

every spot...because Subaru has a hard time finding

out which gasket you're talking about when you order

it.

• 3 years later...

So, I just brought my first Subaru home. 90 Legacy wagon with only 113K on the clock. I think this is my problem so I'm going to try it tomorrow. Will let yo know how it goes. :)

Just found the above link. It shows how to remove and reinstall the IACV. It actually looks like a little more work than I would like to do. My hands are kinda big, and it's a tight spot.

• 5 weeks later...
on my other suby, i loosned up the screws while the car was running. then adjust the iac till u find the sweet spot, re tighten screws.
Try this first. Mine had already been replaced. The previous owner just didn't adjust it. Plus, I had two injectors shorting which was probably the issue previously, rather than the IAC valve.

Archived