LegacyGT.com

boost leak / slight chirping - squeeling noise

Hey guys,

new to this forum but just recently got an 05 lgt 5eat. only mods i can tell are an HKS exhaust. When i first bought the car from the subaru dealer i heard the slight chirping / squelling when i gave it good gas. It would launch like a rocket ship. Took it back, they said it was the inlet pipe and replaced it free of charge. Then started rough idling / shaking when i got up to speed on the highway. They told me it was the TMIC. So i havent replaced it quite yet but was wondering if anyone else heard this simalar noise or had this problem?

yeah i checked all the hoses and connections. threw a CEL early when the inlet pipe blew out. off now though. Fins are pretty smashed up. thats why i was thinking that was the issue. but it seemed everyone at the dealer had there heads up there asses and didnt know what they were doing. def still has boost. but you can feel the lag and hear it blowing out. im thinking the turbo might be tuned up a little. thats why it blew the TMIC? was thinking going with PERRIN TMIC just to call it safe? any suggestions?

i was going to spray around with some soap and water to see if i can see anything. just havent got around to it. going to school for ford. but subuaru seems to be all foreign to me. as though ive been learning alot from the posts/threads on here.

Careful spraying anything any liquid when you have a possible vacuum leak. Vaccum works both ways. Last thing you want is a harmful liquid sucked into your motor. Just do a pressure test. All you need is air pump w/ pressure guage and something to plug the intake tube. Pump up to about 28-30psi and listen and locate the leak.

stikiller might be selling his Perrin tmic, see his kaboom thread.

I pint size paint can plugs the inlet hose off the air box, pull the small vacuum hose off the BOVand pressuize it with a short blast of air, put your thumb over the hose and listen for leaks.

The OEM tmic is know to leak over time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good advice here, look at the tabs near the turbo side of the IC, if they are covered in oil it is leaking. Post up some photos if you can. Max's description is the proper way to ck for leaks. Good luck. Feel free to hit me up if you have questions.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Archived