LegacyGT.com

Need help replacing my 2008 LGT motor

+1 on where you got a good price for that shortblock with forged pistons. What brand pistons will be in it?

forget new head gaskets, get an entire OEM engine gasket kit.

As far as looking for EJ257[PN], thing from a 255 will fit as well. The only difference between a 257 and a 255 is the shape of the pistons.

BTW where did u get a 257 short block with forged pistons for 2150?? is it an 05 build?

I found a few for around $2500 then on some Ebay store (Outfront motorsports[ he had great ratings and reviews]) it was $2150 and free shipping.

The description read:

"Subaru rebuilt EJ257 2.5L STi shortblock. Reconditioned block halves, new forged pistons, new rings, reconditioned rods, new ACL race bearings and all new hardware. Block was hot tanked and tested, bored and power honed with torque plates. " unfortunately that's all i know, is it a problem if it's an 05 rebuild? I have his phone number.

I plan on getting the full OEM gasket kit just to be safe, you guys are awesome. If it wasn't for this forum i probably would have surely botched something by now.

+1 to bmw's post. I just asked because i had a choice between pre 08 and post 08 build dates for my SB.

If thats the block you want, go for it. I would be weary of that, but thats just me. Just think, if you get some piece of shit for 350 less than one from subaru, was it really worth it?

Outfront Motorsports is 15 min down the road from me and they are good. Did they provide you a spec sheet with measurements? If the case halves are reconditioned I'd be curious what bearing sizes they ended up with but beyond that it's a good deal. I personally, am not a fan of reusing case halves unless sleeving.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

That won't matter. Go open source, this way you will always have full access to your tune. If something isn't right with it you can share it for all to tear apart. Cobb is convenient for fast map switching by keeping in the the canter console but beyond that... Open Source ftw...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Yes^^^^

Also we have a local tuner that can set you up with a dyno or road tune. Check with him about software suggestions. I think he tunes both.

nate@tpgtuning.com

Regarding the IM question....it really depends on what turbo you want. I changed to the STI IM because I bought a complete engine. There are plenty of option out there for flanged style turbos now.

[

I'm putting ARP head studs in for a headgasket job. Any information to back up the retorque procedure after a heat cycle? Want to make sure it's done right.

+1 on the gates "complete" timing kit. They are on sale now by several of the forum vendors.

+1 on where you got a good price for that shortblock with forged pistons. What brand pistons will be in it?

yea retorque those head bolts after a few heat cycles ...

thats only a 15 hour job !!!!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I'm doubting they need to be retorqued, so I'm not worried. I will read the instructions, though...

Did some reading - some have different torquing procedures and use the included ARP assembly lube and do not need to retorque.

Also, I did some reading in the vacation pics and it does not mention replacing the bolts (where it explicitly mentions replacing other items). I'm almost certain I'm just going to reuse the stock bolts now and return/resell/save the ARP studs.

FedEx, being the bosses they are, delivered the motor one day late...to my old apartment..which is 2.miles from my new apartment...which is 100 miles from the shipping address I gave them. (my shop is in my hometown). Work on the car should begin Monday morning. Wish me luck

Thank you, and honestly, thats the one thing fedex didn't do..they didn't even take it off the truck, I had to.. it's 100 lbs man, do your job.

My trailer from Pittsburgh to Du Bois tomorrow morning bailed on me so I'm gonna try and rent an auto trailer from Uhaul and take it with a Sierra 1500. I've never driven a trailer so it should be a PITA.

Ive been doing some reading and I'm starting to think I might want a new clutch, mostly because of the 105k Miles and some upgraded but still fairly mild cams, just pretty much a "while I'm in there" kind of thing. I think my goal for this car is around 300 hp(Not cemented) . It's still my DD. I was looking at ACT for clutches but i'm still trying to figure out what cams to go with.

On a sidenote. UPS delivered my AEM CAI with no hitches, go brown. :)

Archived