LegacyGT.com

kaboom!!!

Frankster I was jus looking at the cam and stroker stuff and it is to expensive to be reasonable everything you said is what I'm gonna end up doing except I'm gonna put forged pistons in, jp, mahle, or weisco. Probably stick jp pistons in this one like I did with my other 05 gt didn't hear anything bad about them I think I did read somewhere you where saying mahle is good choice too. I think the engine gasket kit is around 250. With the shop work I had done on the block and heads with the other lgt was around 1500. That block I went with bigger pistons too. So the bore was 100 total not 99.5. Any thoughts on bigger bore then that? Also if ur gonna be here in Mi soon how bout I acquire your services... buick heartbeat maybe :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yikes!!!! that really sucks!! i would shoot myself!! well im close to that already lol...jk fellas but deffinetly dissapointed especially since i have only been driving it for bout 3 months after just dropping 3500 on performance mods. :( the tranny is my next concern since i do not have the bulletproof diff or better clutch packs but i do have the valvebody mod.everything seems fine in that department so far.....

i went weisco pistons because there suposed to be the quietest, but starting at -30 was still pretty darn noisy.

i even reused headgaskets, three times on the 2.5, other than that its just valve cover gaskets and prehaps intake gaskets but those are only problemmatic when there over tightened.

and bigger bore may only increase hp by 1 hp. maybe! if the stock bores are clean ie no scratches stay stock if possible.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Was looking around and it looks like I can buy an oem ej257 for 1600 from heuberger subaruits the one with the nitrated crank. Now how bout some sti heads....is there any model year that has better heads then the other?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

here is the part number for the sti block that is on sale .Subaru Part # 10103AC030 im sure glad that i dont have to be in a hurry to get this car fixed.

so the laundry list is....

MOTOR

buy short block

send heads out pray they r ok

buy new headgaskets

send turbo to bnr to get checked for damage

new oil pump

new oil cooler

oil and new oil pickup tube

new cam sprockets the plastic ones

new intake manifold gaskets

maybe turbo to downpipe gasket

all new exhaust gaskets before the turbo

TRANS

pull center diff and inspect for damaged parts and install hexmods bushings and probably replace clutch pax

SUSPENSION

front lower control arm bushings

shocks and springs

replace rotors and pads

certainly is a love hate relationship with this car!!!

if im missing ne thing or you guys think that a part is reusable that i am replacing let me know

also thx to compsurge,frankster,max capacity and everyone else for your help!!!

plastic cam sprokets off the cams ? then how do you take apart the head ? they capture the plastic guard and few other things.

the bolts holding in those sprockets were a pita i had to heat them. and still managed to damage them

also you can't put other type heads on and the cams have to be for that car other wise your gonna have issues with cam sync that you can't fix with rom raider

a tune and exhaust and few tiny things and you will be past a sti power levels

i reused the headgaskets 3 times on that 2.5 and 6 times on my buick and another 5 times a 2.4 twin cam gm

I don't recollect exactly, but [reusing stock heads on a 257 block] isn't going to lead to any tuning or reliability issues.

no difference what so ever...

i'm just saying don't go putting some jdm ej203 heads on it and expect it to work perfectly.

Nah wasn't planning on putting heads like that on it just thought I can get ahead of the game with sti heads but ill listen to you guys and reuse my stock heads. also my setup was putting down on a mustang dyno 376 torque to the wheels hope I get a lol bit more on a better tune and healthier block. Also forgot to add to the list was an aos to keep my intercooler clean and intake tracts good, and the tuned said I should get a boost controller and an aem map sensor to replace the stock one so I can hit my full boost potential which should be around 25-28 psi sound reasonable or he blowing smoke up my ars.

well there is not much to do porting tgv deletes and more boost bigger turbo.

but that ends up more lag and suckier 5eat so thats what made the 3.8 buick to attractive.

Archived