LegacyGT.com

Transmission syncros

My 97 Legacy is having issues with the 2nd gear syncros. As far as I know this would entail a complete tranny rebuild to fix. My thoughts are to just get a used trans and swap in.

Anyone know which 5MT's will go into LGT with no modifications. Will 00-04 WRX 5MT swap in or do I have to stick with a Legacy?

Anyone out there done this without swapping motor along with it?

• I Donated

any 5MT will fit right in. The only thing is you have to make sure the gear ratios in the transmission front diff are 4.11 to match your rear diff final drive ratio.

If you can't find a 4.11 trans, you can put anything in there as long as you swap the rear diff out with it.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Great, thanks for the info. I looked up some further information based on your input. WRX for this model range had a 3.90. The only other caveat is going to be a push vs pull clutch. I'm finding that in 98 they swith from a pull style to push style.

Does this mean even if I find a 4.11, and don't need the rear diff; I'll have to do the clutch as well or can it be modified to fit?

• I Donated
Great, thanks for the info. I looked up some further information based on your input. WRX for this model range had a 3.90. The only other caveat is going to be a push vs pull clutch. I'm finding that in 98 they swith from a pull style to push style.

Does this mean even if I find a 4.11, and don't need the rear diff; I'll have to do the clutch as well or can it be modified to fit?

You will have to change the clutchkit., fork., and slave cylinder. Sorry forgot to mention.thy. good job on your research!

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Been doing some reading on the syncros, and some other forums have discussions about using the wrong tranny fluid will increase the issue. The previous owner had changed the fluid with Redline 75/90 NS. In the maintenance sticky it lists a Subaru OEM fluid, and I've read about Scotty's cocktail.

Any thoughts if either of these other two fluids will let the tranny go for a little while longer?

Archived