LegacyGT.com

I don't want to disable the chime, but...

Hello, new member here. I have searched already and read a lot of threads, but can't find an answer, so I'm going to post up, even though seat belt chimes seem to be a topic that's been hashed to death.

This fall I purchased a used 2005 Legacy Limited 2.5i wagon. The car is working out well, but it developed a problem a couple of weeks ago. The passenger seatbelt chimes continuously, even though there is no one in the passenger seat. I have had to keep the passenger seatbelt buckled, to turn it off.

The problem appeared out of the blue when I dropped my friend off at the train station. I thought perhaps the pressure sensor in the seat had gotten stuck from his weight. He's a pretty big guy, though not that big. But it was undeniably stuck.

But now, after reading on this forum I have a different idea. I think that this problem existed when I bought the car, and that the previous owners had masked it using the 20-click method. And I think that it resurfaced during my friend's visit, because one of the things we did while he was here, was to use the Subaru to jumpstart a flooded motorcycle. It took a lot of cranking, even after we hooked up the cables to the car. I think we drew just enough off the battery, to lose the 20-click turnoff of the seatbelt chime.

I could use the 20-click method to turn the seatbelt chime off again. Or I could open the seatbelt buckle and move the white slider. I also read about the plug under the seat that can be unplugged, though that one sounded like it only worked for the driver side.

But what I would prefer, is to keep the chime, and fix the sensor in the seat so it works correctly. For two reasons. One is that I'm concerned about the air bags. If I get in a fender bender that deploys the airbags, will it do something different because it thinks I have a passenger, even though I don't? And the second is that I have a friend who resists wearing a seatbelt. I want the car to nag him, so I don't have to. It's just socially easier.

So does anyone know how the sensor in the seat works?

Thanks!

Don't know how the sensor under the seat works, assume it's by a weight for the airbag to turn on, and nothing to do with the seatbelt. If you check out

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/disable-seatbelt-chime-no-cutting-required-62304p4.html

post 56, I put up picks on how to disable the passenger side and if you really want to annoy your friend, just take the paperclip out when he gets into the car and it'll constantly beep even if he ahs his seatbelt on...LOL

Archived