LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen GT?

Rittmeister

So, I'm in the market for a second-generation GT wagon. I drove one last week and had my mechanic check it out, but it turned out to have enough medium-to-large problems I declined to purchase.

Since these are pretty thin on the ground here in my area (Cincinnati OH), I'm wondering if I could build something equivalent starting with a different base.

I had hoped to buy a 1998 or 1999 2.5GT wagon, lower it slightly, better wheels/tires, put in WRX seats, MAYBE a header and intake, and be done. This car will be filling daily driver duties for me as well as a few longer trips each year with my wife and very small daughter.

The question is: could I start with an Outback? I like the body styling on the GT but the Outback is similar. I fear I would not be happy with the plain-ness of the L or Brighton, nor would the lower-powered 2.2 engine do it for me. I will NOT be interested in doing body mods, even bolt-ons.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I am continuing to look but Subaru just isn't a popular car in my area (except for the Forester it seems)...

If you bought an L with a spoiler and bought a used GT hood for it, should be identical minus the sunroof and engine. IMO I would rather have the 2.2 engine, its the rock of Subaru and super reliable. If your not already aware the 2.5 has serious head gasket issues... Good luck!

They made big changes on the next Gen the 00-04 is a much better car. When my 98gt wagon had 33,000 miles on it, I test drove a 00, I bought it that day. It was only $200 more on the base window sticker but a huge difference in how the felt and drove.

Go with a 2.2 or a 3rd Gen

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

They made big changes on the next Gen the 00-04 is a much better car. When my 98gt wagon had 33,000 miles on it, I test drove a 00, I bought it that day. It was only $200 more on the base window sticker but a huge difference in how the felt and drove.

Go with a 2.2 or a 3rd Gen

Forgive my ignorance; can you elaborate on the improvements?

Forgive my ignorance; can you elaborate on the improvements?

In March of 00'

I remember the sales man saying there were 160 changes and the cost was only $200 more to the base sticker.

I recall the car being parked on the drit/grass hill side when I started it up. After starting I went, wow, that's better, when I drove the car of the dirt, onto the asphalt, I said wow, that's better. By that time I had driven the car 50ft. When I had pasengers in the back seat, they commented on how much the car felt from back there.

That was 11 years ago and I still remember, that's how much better it felt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have a 95 2.2 L wagon and it is still going strong after 254k with no head gasket issues. :) Picked it up from a friend for only $1200. It has plenty of power for a DD. Of course it would be fun to have a turbo, but hey... I like the GT styling as well and I am turning my wagon into a GT minus the sunfoof. I found a rear hatch off a 96 GT, and a scooped hood from a 99 OB. When I install them after painting it will basically look like a GT. I picked up the rear hatch for only $30 at a pick n pull with a 50% coupon, and the scooped hood last week for $40. My wagon was rear ended and the rear hatch was ruined, so the replacement isn't just for looks.

I love the 2.2, its bulletproof and easy to maintain yourself (spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) I'm curious to see how long it lasts and then maybe I'll swap a JDM EJ20k in there. In the meantime, I'm working on the suspension, wrx wheels, installing a whiteline rsb, new struts, and upgrading the brakes and interior. Luckily for me there are ton of subarus out here so it's not too bad to find parts. Fun car!

I have a 95 2.2 L wagon and it is still going strong after 254k with no head gasket issues. :) Picked it up from a friend for only $1200. It has plenty of power for a DD. Of course it would be fun to have a turbo, but hey... I like the GT styling as well and I am turning my wagon into a GT minus the sunfoof. I found a rear hatch off a 96 GT, and a scooped hood from a 99 OB. When I install them after painting it will basically look like a GT. I picked up the rear hatch for only $30 at a pick n pull with a 50% coupon, and the scooped hood last week for $40. My wagon was rear ended and the rear hatch was ruined, so the replacement isn't just for looks.

I love the 2.2, its bulletproof and easy to maintain yourself (spark plugs, timing belt, etc.) I'm curious to see how long it lasts and then maybe I'll swap a JDM EJ20k in there. In the meantime, I'm working on the suspension, wrx wheels, installing a whiteline rsb, new struts, and upgrading the brakes and interior. Luckily for me there are ton of subarus out here so it's not too bad to find parts. Fun car!

IMO stay with the 2.2 less head aches and easy to get parts for. In fact if you can keep for as long as you can. I was on the fence with my 05 wagon this past summer, but I'm glad I kept it.

Archived