LegacyGT.com

Planning Ahead: Suspension

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely noticed a performance boost but the headers went on about the same day I switched from the EJ22 ecu to the EJ25D ecu, as well as some other upgrade...I think it was fixing some vacuum or exhaust leak.

Not fair to compare. But it definitely sounded much better and accelerated peppier under mid to high throttle. Seemed like it was quicker all around the RPM band

Direct bolt in.

My car is a 97 Legacy L, which had the stock 2.2 ECU for the 97 EJ22 motor.

The motor which was swapped in was an 98 block, 96 HLA heads EJ25D. So I know the computers between those two years and motors are directly swappable.

• 3 weeks later...
So, to bump this thread. I'm very near making a purchase on a new set of KYB-GR2s and the new mounts, which totals around $600. My friends, however, are saying that I could get a set of coilovers for just slightly more. My issue is that I do NOT want to lower the car. Someone was telling me that I would be able to keep the stock height if I got taller springs for the coilovers. Can someone please explain to me how this works, and whether it is possible? If I'm not lowering the car, is it even worth the added cost, or should I just stick with the KYBs...

PnP on 2.2 heads? LOL! Bullshit. Those heads don't flow all that well period. A PnP has been known on an N/A to not give much. Cams with a proper intake and exhaust give a good gain in power. Especially on the freeway. The girlfriends 92 is getting cams next week.

Maybe a PnP on the 2.5 heads. Delta said it wouldn't hurt to do it. But the gains on N/A heads with bolts ons are very VERY minor. And upgrading valves to do what? No need to upgrade valves if you're not boosting or going HC.

For the price of 2.2 cams. It's a no brainier (especially since we are in there to replace HG's) maybe on a 2.5 it's kind of a hit and miss because of the cost. A PnP and valves make the build MUCH more expensive and almost not worth it. But if you want that little bit. PnP and MAYBE valves are the way to go. It's an N/A Subaru. Good luck! Go Frakenmotor for low end.

To each their own.

Stang - Cheap coilovers are not worth it. But JAC has had good luck with his racelands which were under $500. However I don't know how high you can make them go. You'd have to ask him.

I would get some GR2's and I think Swift makes springs that wont lower the car.

Jac's coils are completely maxed out height wise. It's safe to say a majority of cheap coils are not going to give you a ride height anywhere near close to stock.

I would stick with the GR2's for sure. Plus, if ride comfort means anything to you, don't get coils. Some adjustable are not so bad when they are set to the softest setting, but it makes every little movement and transition much more noticeable and can be quite jerky at times.

What are your personal preferences?

PnP on 2.2 heads? LOL! Bullshit. Those heads don't flow all that well period. A PnP has been known on an N/A to not give much. Cams with a proper intake and exhaust give a good gain in power. Especially on the freeway. The girlfriends 92 is getting cams next week.

Maybe a PnP on the 2.5 heads. Delta said it wouldn't hurt to do it. But the gains on N/A heads with bolts ons are very VERY minor. And upgrading valves to do what? No need to upgrade valves if you're not boosting or going HC.

For the price of 2.2 cams. It's a no brainier (especially since we are in there to replace HG's) maybe on a 2.5 it's kind of a hit and miss because of the cost. A PnP and valves make the build MUCH more expensive and almost not worth it. But if you want that little bit. PnP and MAYBE valves are the way to go. It's an N/A Subaru. Good luck! Go Frakenmotor for low end.

To each their own.

Stang - Cheap coilovers are not worth it. But JAC has had good luck with his racelands which were under $500. However I don't know how high you can make them go. You'd have to ask him.

I would get some GR2's and I think Swift makes springs that wont lower the car.

My comments are more referenced to forced induction and v8's.

I agree with you on the NA comments

Well, I'm not looking for a street racing machine, obviously, or I'd be lowering the car. My long-term goal for this car is to make it simply a VERY NICE car in every aspect while retaining the utility as an Outback. So, I've been working on upgrading the suspension, while slowly re-working the interior. (Next on the interior list after I finish with the Damplifier is Luxury Liner and a new sound system.)

So on the handling front, I wanted to keep the stock height, but a stiffer suspension doesn't really hurt anything since I don't go rock crawling. My line of thought was, I've upgraded the brakes, I've upgraded the wheels, and I've upgraded the swaybars, all of which, together, have made the car 1,000 times better on the handling front. The last thing to do is the struts. The car is already a lot stiffer (and rougher of a ride) than stock, so I'm not sure coilovers would be a smart idea, not to mention, as you said, I'm not entirely sure that cheap coilovers are a good idea. So I was thinking the KYB-GR2 setup would already gain me some stiffness over the current struts, which probably have at LEAST 100k on them - possible way more, and then they are also supposed to be something like 10-20% stiffer than stock, so I gain a little on that end. I can reuse the stock springs, and I'll be buying new OEM strut mounts since I'm sure these are old and decrepit, and that should round out the suspension upgrades on the car and give me a very good handling and predictable, yet still Outback-ish car.

So I guess KYB-GR2 is the way to go then?

My GR2's have 60k and are still good. eekay told me that they can go for 100k.

When I drive up a driveway or reverse into one I hear some creaks. Is that some kind of bushing issue?

edit: for installing a rear sway do I need 1/2" drive tools or can I just use my 3/8" sockets?

Alright guys, I'm about ready to make a grand purchase. Since it was my birthday yesterday and I got my financial aid rebate from my school, I've decided to screw "sensibilities" for the day and just spend the tiny bit of that rebate that my parents let me keep on my car. So these are the parts I have lined up. Ignoring the timing belt kit, and the replacement struts for the rear hatch, everything else there has to do with the replacement of my struts. Are there any other parts that you guys think I should order or that I will need when doing this? I have the struts, new mounts, even new bellows, and new front control arm bushings just for the hell of it if they are easy to get to. Are there any other parts that I should expect to have to replace that are directly related to the struts? Thanks for all the help guys!

EDIT: One of the things I was hoping to replace were the control arm bushings. However, from what I understand there are two bushings on each control arm - one of which is the transverse link bushing, or something. I've tried to find these parts in the rock auto catalog, but the only ones I found were the ones that are in the bottom of the cart image below. Are they both the same? Would I need to order four to replace them all? Or am I not looking in the right spot.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6684863355_fba833bd54_b.jpg

Here is a discount code for rockauto right now, enter it in the how you hear about us thing, its 5% off.

Also for the struts I bought mine from these guys, and right now they are running a 15% off sale. Smoking deal for these struts shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-95-5-98-/250867514889

Okay, we all may want to check this out. I have found out how much power there is to be gained by an EL header on a stock engine... The guy in this video swapped out his stock exhaust for a EL setup that included a high flow cat pipe and 1 high flow catalytic converter. And remember the engine in the RS is the same as the one in our cars. Well, your guys cars at least..

He went from 106 horsepower at the wheels, to 120 horsepower at the wheels. He also gained about 15 lb-ft of torque to reach 134. That's just over 20 horsepower at the crank, making a total of 185 horsepower.

So, judging by this, I would think the use of a UEL header would not cause any loss of power at the bottom end. I just don't think it'll gain any there, only at the mid range to top end.

Archived