LegacyGT.com

Is this compression normal?

Hi all

My friends 07 LGT just after maintance , compression was 10,10,9,10 ,car has 120K miles.

Guys from dealer said that this is normal for that car and nothing to worry, but I just wondering is this really normal for 120K miles car?

or there is something to think about?

thanks

Yes It's in bar)

Guys from dealer said many times to my friend that this is really normal, and his car was after maintence and full diagnostic(no errors,all is ok,all old parts are changed), but for me this is a little strange ,thats why I asked you about it.

Car is stock, never tuned.

What we should look for? Because dealer said that this is really ok and we should say something more specific to check

thanks

strange thing...

just checked compression in another place , numbers are 10 10 9.5 10 (in bars):confused::spin:

and now really wondering, maybe something was wrong with tools or something..

compression cannot pop up to 0.5 in 1 day?

It depends on gauge and other variables, the cylinder that read 9.. was it the average of 3 tests?

Think so, this was full maintance at 120K and diagnosis..

Gauge?

this is official subaru dealer I dont know which they have, but think the right one:)

Maybe was something wrong ,or guy with gauge was foothanded..

Anyway after that we checked 2 times on different places , was 10 10 9,5 10

Also got a question about what we should check? 9,5 seems really normal, but anyway ..

I work for a dodge/jeep/chrysler/ram dealerand and we have two different 'special tool gauges' that both read differently.

That being said.. most techs have their own compression testing gauge as well. Just a variable to consider.

Well.. if your really concerned with it; put a tiny amount of oil in the suspect cylinder and run the test again. If the compression pops up to normal, or to match the other cylinders.. chances are you could have rings starting to fail or just get old.

If it doesn't change at all, do a leak down test and of your engine passes that.. just drive the thing. Its fine.

Remember that numbers can change depending on how warm the car is, if you are low on oil or their gauge is off. Looking at the numbers you might have a valve not seating all the way or a soft piston. Overall the numbers are actually very good. I would say just keep an eye on things and if you start seeing a misfire or something then look to that cylinder immediately.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 1 month later...

Archived