LegacyGT.com

hm. steering clunk? I'm a little stumped.

Hokay, so I installed Tanabe GF210s on my car the other day. I bolted them on with my friends struts (They were already on them).

One of his struts was bent, so after a few days I swapped the springs to my struts.

Toe is a little off still, but...

I get a nice loud "clunk" when I pull into a parking lot that is raised (angling of course, so I don't scrape). IT happens right when teh FR wheel is at it's highest, and the FL wheel is at it's lowest. It seems like it's coming from the FR. I feel it in the steering wheel, and in the pedals.

This didn't happen until after I swapped the springs onto my struts. My struts are from an 06 WRX, not blown, top hats are in great condition, greased and clean, no excess play. Everything is bolted down tight and torqued to spec.

I also have the Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment kit installed (tie rod ends and ball joints).

Has anybody else experienced this after lowering their car?

I've been reading that some people have had this issue with the whiteline ball joints.

• I Donated

Your toe being off won't cause clunking noises....ever.

If everything is tight, you may want to look into greasing your struts

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Greasing my struts? or top hats? You don't grease struts... the top hats have plenty o grease and never had this problem before.

Now toe shouldn't cause a clunking noise, but saying it never will, that's another story. I discovered that one of the boots on my steering rack is torn, so here is my thinking. Because the toe was so far off, it was putting extra stress on the tie rod ends, balljoints, and steering rack. Enough so that it was causing a clunking noise, or something to want to pop out of place. Once I adjusted it in closer to zero, it isn't stressing those things anywhere near as much, and the noise went away.

If it comes back, I'll chime back in here. But so far so good... I've been trying to get it to clunk and it hasn't.

Archived