LegacyGT.com

EJ25D Head vs EJ255

Just picked up a 97 LGT. I havn't had time to diagnose myself but the previous owner thinks overheating problem is from head gasket issues. To his knowledge they were never replaced.

I read other posts, and realize this could be due to clog in radiator or faulty thermostat.

My question is, is there any value in swapping the DOHC head with a newer DOHC from a EJ255?

LOL, or would it even work at all?

Just picked up a 97 LGT. I havn't had time to diagnose myself but the previous owner thinks overheating problem is from head gasket issues. To his knowledge they were never replaced.

I read other posts, and realize this could be due to clog in radiator or faulty thermostat.

My question is, is there any value in swapping the DOHC head with a newer DOHC from a EJ255?

LOL, or would it even work at all?

You want to swap a EJ255 head onto a EJ25D block ? Well... same stroke same bore dissimilar water passages btwn the two heads and the HG is a different thickness due to the difference in CRs btwn the N/A and the F/I.

I have not ran a combo like that before as typically people use the case crank and rods with N/A pistons and head gaskets

Thanks for the input guys. BTW I read the whole chain for your build HighFlyr, very well put together, great information from both of you.

My thought with only the head would be a semi inexpensive way to increase performance, especially since I'd already be in there doing the HG. It possible the heads are warped, since I think the car was overheated a few times.

From what I understand if I did the whole motor, I'd end up wanting to do the tranny and rear diff as well since the M/T from this year wouldn't hold up under the increased load from FI. LOL not to mention the wiring harness... blah. I hate HATE hate doing electrical in cars.

I had considered a swap with a 2.0 WRX from same year range. Much less money for the parts/E harness, but still looking at sinking 3-4 k if I go that route. would be sleeper tho for sure.

Thanks for the input guys. BTW I read the whole chain for your build HighFlyr, very well put together, great information from both of you.

My thought with only the head would be a semi inexpensive way to increase performance, especially since I'd already be in there doing the HG. It possible the heads are warped, since I think the car was overheated a few times.

From what I understand if I did the whole motor, I'd end up wanting to do the tranny and rear diff as well since the M/T from this year wouldn't hold up under the increased load from FI. LOL not to mention the wiring harness... blah. I hate HATE hate doing electrical in cars.

I had considered a swap with a 2.0 WRX from same year range. Much less money for the parts/E harness, but still looking at sinking 3-4 k if I go that route. would be sleeper tho for sure.

I would say look for a decent Ej255 setup there is a running (with a spun bearing) on here for sale for $850 and another for $800 if you got the engine a rebuild could be done for under $1500 (basic hot dip, hone, new pistons, rings, bearings, seals) you may be able to reuse the internals and simple have the crank polished and get new rings which would further save money.

The weakness in the older 5MT esp in the WRX (02-05) is two fold: the gear set and the case. One could argue the gears fail as a result of case flex causing an improper meshing btwn the lay shaft and the input shaft gear sets but many chalk that up to a poor desgin and ass hat operation :lol:

A stock EJ255 putting down 245 to the crank 200 to the wheel s should be fine on your gearbox

Archived