LegacyGT.com

Help with Replacing Brake Light Switch

I have a 2006 legacy automatic that keeps getting stuck in park. I noticed that it only gets stuck in park when I press the brakes and the brake lights do not come on. Often times when I am driving and hit the breaks the brake lights do not come on. After doing some research I have concluded that I need to replace the brake light switch :confused::confused::confused: Is this easy to do? I would like to buy the part from auto zone and replace it myself to save $$$$ but I dont know what im doing.... Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Thank you

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the reply. I had to buy the part from the dealership for 48.99 it was my only option. Auto zone sells them for like $21 but they were all sold out and so was every other store. I was quoted from $85 - $120 for the labor, but since you said it was a piece of cake I decided to try it myself. Money dont grow on trees. I have no "mechanic" experience but am good figuring things out. I stuck my head down there by the brake pedal, and saw where the switch goes. I had to remove one plastic panel in order to get access to it. The electrical connector was a little stubborn and since I had no clue what Im doing it took me 5 minutes to wiggle it out. Used a 14 mm wrench to take off the one bolt, remove the old switch and put the new one in. It was a piece of cake, took less than 30 minutes from start to finish

• 5 years later...

Super old thread resurrection but, I bought a switch today at advanced auto and replaced it myself...Thanks to this thread!

I was getting stuck in park, abs and traction control lights on, loss of cruise control. I looked at my break light reflection and noted that it wasn't coming on every time.

Nice to have everything back and saved time and money on labor.

Archived