LegacyGT.com

Roof Racks and Legacy GT LTD

PeteNJ

Im an avid mountain biker and I needed to put a roof rack on my GT LTD as soon as I get it. Just wondering if anyone here is going to do the same? Only thing that has me concerned is the sunroof weakaning the roof structure a bit. My DH bike weighs 50lbs and my XC bike is around 30. Kinda sucks that I will ruin the smooth flowing lines of the GT but form follows function!

Yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do :D D@mn that's a heavy bike. No wonder it's for "downhill." :) As for the rack, I'll eventually do that too, when I get my car (still no ETA on when I'll order... unless I can strong-arm my wife into buying the GR GT wagon on the lot today). But I don't think it's really as issue with the sunroof or not, as all of the load bearing is done just outboard of the roof rails where the structure is the strongest, and the same between Ltd and non-Ltd cars. As long as you don't exceed the weight limit of the rack, no sweat, IMHO.

I don't like the wind noise from roof racks and don't like lifting bikes up onto the roof. I was planning on using my bike rack that fits into a trailer hitch. It tilts back so you can open tailgate. Even my dog jumps in/out with no trouble. I was hoping to use this solution with my future Leg GT. You probably have a good reason why you are not considering this option.

[quote name='MtnSub']I don't like the wind noise from roof racks and don't like lifting bikes up onto the roof. I was planning on using my bike rack that fits into a trailer hitch. It tilts back so you can open tailgate. Even my dog jumps in/out with no trouble. I was hoping to use this solution with my future Leg GT. You probably have a good reason why you are not considering this option.[/quote] Well im not sure if you can put a hitch on the sedan? I think it would look even worse then a roofrack for some reason. Also, i dont feel comfotable putting my expensive arse bikes in the rear. Where Mrs.Soccer mom of America can rear end me while she tells Mrs.Smith how well chuckie did in his soccer game that day. :D

I'll probably have some Yakima gear on my GT Ltd Wagon at some point for my MTBs as well. I'm hoping I can reuse the towers I bought for my current Forester. The rack is probably rated to about 120lbs so it shouldn't be an issue holding both bikes. The moonroof is cut inside of Subaru's structural "rings" so I have absolutely no worries about structural integrity. Ken

why not throw a portable rack on the back? they make some good racks these days and then you don't have to live with the wind noise or the look when you aren't hauling your bikes.

Portable racks are also a good option, but my concern with them is that they don't offer as much security as a rack or hitch system. For casual use and for just getting bikes from point A to B, they are a good choice. Also, I prefer having my bikes up top since it's more parallel parking friendly and the height does deter petty crimes. Finally, with a rack or hitch system, you know that the bikes aren't going to become projectiles when you're zipping down a canyon run to get to the trailhead. :) Ken

CPTChaplin, My hitch mounted bike rack is a base model THULE purchased at REI. It is a simple hinged L bracket design. The locking elbow hinge can be released by pulling a pin and it allows rack to tilt from virtical position back 45 degrees away from car. This makes it easy to open back of car. Unlike some hitch racks, this rack holds bikes very close to car so you do not get the tail wagging sway effect of some hitch racks. Rack take about 2 min. to put on/off so I am not stuck with a rack all the time. Sounds like I will not be able to use with my future Leg GT because Subaru does not offer hitch for Leg GT, but I will check with local hitch installer. Local shop knows that we are using hitches for bike racks and not towing and can put together a light, non-conspicuous solution. Hope he can.

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to update everyone on the Yakima rack situation for the sedans -- this should apply to both the 2.5i and the GT, limited and non-limited. I emailed Yakima asking about a fit kit and received this reply: [quote]We have updated the fit for the '05 Legacy Sedan. Here are the specifications for your vehicle: Vehicle: SUBARU Legacy Sedan Year Range: 2005-2005 Factory Rack: N/A Weight Limit: 165 Tower/Attachment: Q Towers Rqd Accessory: Crossbar Length: 48" CrossBar Fairing: 44" Fairing Front Clips/Landing Pads: Q53-E Rear Clips/Landing Pads: Q53-E M1: 41 1/2 M2: 7 M3: 41 M4: 30 M1 Max: M2 Max: M3 Max: M4 Max: Notes: 63. For a secure fit pull down door frame seals enough to insert the clip against underside of raingutter, trim, and/or roof. If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Service at 888-925-0703 7am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you reply to this email, please include all previous correspondence. Thank you, Yakima Support [/quote] This info still isn't in their online fit guide (as of 9/21/2004). I now have the clips, and already had the rack from my previous car, but haven't had a chance to set it up yet... Hopefully this weekend. I'll post another update if there are any issues or additional pertinent information.

Hmmm... bike racks? Yup, got 'em up there... [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p58e0fdfc986915142b9fbeb653c5f64c/f797a719.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pfb8a12e37c9e3e59974c677c8510ac11/f797a6c3.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p3d1ac59400fb4ec135fa7a4ead0a6f44/f797a687.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pe2ce6868089a6516df8dae180ce508e2/f797a631.jpg[/img] Details: Yakima Easy Rider Towers, 48" cross bars, Viper bike mounts. As for the noise, I've got a bungee cord wraped in a spiral across each bar (from left tower to right tower). Trust me, it works. Not totally silent but really cuts down on the wind noise. Sorry no pics, but I'll get you some if you'd like. Cheers! -Ian

Here's a pic of the bungie solution on my OB XT racks: [img]http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/rack-wrap-01.jpg[/img] Ian's right, it works like a charm to cut rack noise. Actually, I only really needed to wrap the front crossbar to get rid of the most annoying noise but did the back bar too. I picked up some black bungie from a local kayak shop, got 20 feet for $6. Craig

• 4 weeks later...
re: the yak comment of : ----------------------- "For a secure fit pull down door frame seals enough to insert the clip against underside of raingutter, trim, and/or roof." Um. This is a no workie..... theres actually nothing to clip onto under there.... it has to be on the plastic"y" outer seal. [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62357&postcount=7[/url]

• 2 months later...
FYI, I just installed the below and they work great. (Q towers, Q53-E clips, and 48" cross bars) Tahoe here I come! [quote name='foerster']Just wanted to update everyone on the Yakima rack situation for the sedans -- this should apply to both the 2.5i and the GT, limited and non-limited. I emailed Yakima asking about a fit kit and received this reply: This info still isn't in their online fit guide (as of 9/21/2004). I now have the clips, and already had the rack from my previous car, but haven't had a chance to set it up yet... Hopefully this weekend. I'll post another update if there are any issues or additional pertinent information.[/QUOTE]

Archived