LegacyGT.com

upgrade front 6.5driver but keep stock tweeter/crossover?

ktmrida02

my passenger front 6.5" is now "junk"

i recently purchased the 07' lgt and i want to replace the front drivers without buying 3 way coax's or a full component set. I dont intend to ever install an amp to the door speakers so i want to get some simple input from you guys.

can i just replace the drivers with aftermarket one's using the same mounting depth and use the stock tweeters/crossover? if so what brand and where?

or should i invest in a $100 pair of cheap components and call it a day?

I have no plans to replace the stock HU either.

thanks for your time!

Buy a set of aftermarket splits. Anything will sound better than OEM speakers. They won't be able to play as "loud" as the OEM speakers as they aren't as efficient but they will play a lot clearer. Don't even consider replacing the mid driver with something aftermarket and still utilise the factory tweeter.

I hated the sound of the factory woofers, but I've also never heard aftermarkets powered by the factory radio in this car. That said, I'd find aftermarkets if I was in your situation. The crossover is built into the factory woofer IIRC though, so the tweeter isn't much good without the factory woofer unless you buy crossovers too. Find a respectable set of 6.5" 2-way coaxials.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-ZXI6-5C-6-5-Inch-Component-Speaker/dp/B000ETFY3K]Amazon.com: Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System (Pair): Car Electronics[/ame]

thinking about ordering these.... im a fan of their amps. a good bang for the buck

Meh. Hifonics isn't known for making the best speakers/subs. Even their amps are kinda entry level as far as nice amps go. You get what you pay for. You could do a lot better with the $100 you mentioned in your first post
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I ran into this with my WRX. I have not checked out the speakers in my LGT yet, but I assume it will be similar. From my WRX experience: The (+)(-) leading to the stock speakers can be ran directly in you new set of two ways. There is a capacitor in the line that cuts out the lows, post speaker, so you will be able to utilize the stock tweeter. There is a specific term for this, but I can't remember... This advice was given to me from a highly reputable car audio business that does only mobile audio. It could be different from the WRX wiring, but I highly doubt it.

The speakers I used were some shallow mount Pioneers and to my surprise, they sounded pretty good (not usually a fan of Pioneer speakers) Pioneer TS-A1673R to be exact, cost $80, MSRP is $100 I believe. You will probably need to mount them with self tapping metals screws like I did since my WRX used a three hole pattern unlike any other.

99% chance your tweeters will work fine (see MiniStiGuy's post)

For a hundred bucks you can find some infinity reference or alpine type S components. You could run the factory tweeters, but could I ask why you'd want to? I've often been able to mount aftermarket tweeters in factory locations with a little bending of the factory mount.

With the factory HU I wouldn't bother spending more than 100 bucks on speakers, I don't think you'll really benefit from more expensive speakers on stock power (what do our HU's put out RMS?). There may be something out there that can produce great sound on 15-25 watts but I haven't seen or heard it yet.

I haven't pulled the doors off my LGT yet to know for sure yet though.

• 1 month later...

Im in the same situation... I have a 99 LGT but it doesnt have stock tweets. Id like to get some & mount some aftermarkets behind them. anyone know if it will be posible?

Im concidering MB Quart componants.... Are they still good or did they go to crap when rockturd bought them out?

Get these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1652-S-6-5-Inch-Component/dp/B001P804Q6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1327328830&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Punch P1652-S 6.5-Inch Component Speakers: Car Electronics[/ame]

my passenger front 6.5" is now "junk"

i recently purchased the 07' lgt and i want to replace the front drivers without buying 3 way coax's or a full component set. I dont intend to ever install an amp to the door speakers so i want to get some simple input from you guys.

can i just replace the drivers with aftermarket one's using the same mounting depth and use the stock tweeters/crossover? if so what brand and where?

or should i invest in a $100 pair of cheap components and call it a day?

I have no plans to replace the stock HU either.

thanks for your time!

Yes you can "just" replace your OEM 6.5" Drivers W/ Aftermarkets. "Brand" should be the last thing you should worry about. Where? Partsexpress OR Madisound > Raw Drivers

Is it worth it? Probably not, especially considering the amount of $$$ you are willing to spend.

If I were you I would head W/ a set of components. A few "Best Bang For Your Buck" Component Sets include:

PPI 356cs

PG RSD's -there is a set on the diyma classifields for $50

Massive Audio CkV6

Everyone will tell you "Get these or get that." -They perceive sound differently. Use YOUR ears.

btw, "Rockturd" does not own Mb Quart. Mb Quart was bought out by maxsonics a few years back.

-Tyler

Archived