LegacyGT.com

Overheating and Coolant Leakage. Ignition Timing Maybe?

Alright so I'm back again. I just replaced the Head Gaskets, Spark wires, Spark Plugs and IACVS on my 97 Outback 2.5 ( I also pulled the thermostat because i believe that cause my engine to overheat in the first place, I'm getting a new one tomorrow from Subaru)

The car ran fine during a 40 or so mile drive home with no over heating, however I can kind of hear a clicking noise when i accelerate, (due to my lack of experience I'm not sure if its clicking or just a louder sound like the sound a car with a loose or cracked exhaust system would sound like a lawn mower almost) and i also noticed that the car would almost miss while i was accelerating like i would hit the gas and it would slowly speed up and then catch and accelerate normally.

Yesterday when I was driving around town I realized the engine began to overheat, so i pulled to the side of the road immediately added coolant and the overheating went away. until later on my drive home it happened again and i needed to add more coolant. (Obviously there is a coolant leak somewhere)

So while looking in the Haynes Manuel troubleshooting I realized that under the problems: Pinging or Knocking Engine Sound During Acceleration or Uphill, Overheating, and Engine Misses Throughout Driving Speed Range, all have the common cause of Bad or Wrong Ignition Timing.

Is this possible? or do I simply have a coolant Leak somewhere? or could my lack of a thermostat right now be causing this problem? I am kind of stuck again and I need some help as I will be leaving to go home from college next week and need a car to get there. PLEASE HELP!

• I Donated

If your coolant is getting low, its leaking somewhere. If you can't find the leak by looking at the engine (from under too), then its probably an internal leak.

Did you clean both the surfaces on the block and heads prior to mounting them? What kind of gaskets did you use? What torque sequence did you follow?

My first impression is that there was some kind of assembely error when you put the engine back together.

Do a compression test on the engine.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

If your coolant is getting low, its leaking somewhere. If you can't find the leak by looking at the engine (from under too), then its probably an internal leak.

Did you clean both the surfaces on the block and heads prior to mounting them? What kind of gaskets did you use? What torque sequence did you follow?

My first impression is that there was some kind of assembely error when you put the engine back together.

Do a compression test on the engine.

I torqued according to the Haynes Manuel. I forget what type of gaskets I used but it was like a gasket set and i used gasket sealer on them and i did clean both the head and the block with a stone thing that my friends dad told me to use. I didnt see any cracks on the head

and someone told me that this could possibly be caused by not properly purging the coolant system could this be possible? just wondering

Thanks for the help

Did you re purge the air from the system? If it has overflowed any since you to last purged it and you've had to add any coolant you should do it again. Then see if you're still getting air bubbles. But if it's still overheating, you definitely have a problem with the heads or gaskets.

A cracked block would cause oil to be in the anti-freeze, anti-freeze in the oil, low engine compression, engine smoke, possibly a visible crack, or over heating. I honestly don't think you have a cracked block. A cracked head is more likely, but may not be the case. Symptoms would be oil leaks, low compression, coolant leaks, engine head smoke, or misfiring.

More than likely the head gasket wasn't put on properly or the surface of the cylinder head wasn't flat enough. Do a hydrocarbon test and you'll know if the gaskets has failed again.

the head gaskets go on dry, NO SEALANT.

the head gaskets should come from ''subaru''.

and at this point the heads should be ''checked'' for flatness. (tell the machine shop a buddy has heads if needed, but you want them checked. you can always say later that he sold them and you now need them re-surfaced. )

and last, install the head gaskets DRY, and torque to spec. the torquing is very important. (it never says 132 ft. lb, it says 132 INCH lbs.)

good luck.

Archived