LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 98 legacy GT today! and...

Unfortunately, it certainly sounds like a head gasket. That's the usual culprit in a situation like this (radiator overflow without overheat). On the bright side, though, you can yank the engine and replace ALL the gaskets and separators in one go and not have to worry about it again. :)

that was my plan too if that's what it came down too. also would be probably be a good time to do water pump and timing belt, 159k and the last owner didn't know if they were changed or not, so next weekend that will be my project starting Thursday to do a little prep. thanks for clarifying my problem eekay!

If the previous owner doesn't know, it's always a good idea to do the water pump and timing belt. Hell, might as do the tensioners, pulleys and the other belts as well. *shrug* It certainly can't hurt! As far as the head gasket being the problem, you might want to wait for a bit more input regarding the situation. I'm no the master mechanic around here. I'm sure someone will chime in soon and start tossing opinions around. Anyhow, glad I could (partially) help and good luck!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Honestly, I'd say no. The amount of work that it takes including pedal installation, ecu wiring/swapping, etc... is a headache to say the least. You're best bet would be to find a manual Legacy with a garbage engine and swap your engine (and anything else you want) into that one. Sorry for the bad news!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 5 months later...

Dude, how did I miss this thread?! I'm right here in da ' Couve too, with your "twin" - 1998 Legacy GT Wagon, Black Granite Pearl, auto, had to change the headgaskets as soon as I picked it up, lol. At least I knew it ahead of time, and was able to negotiate for a good price at the time of purchase.

What part of town are you in... or have you deployed already?

Archived