LegacyGT.com

replace valves or buy new heads w/valves

HLAs are hydraulic lash adjusters. oil pressure is used to fil small hydraulic cylinders on each valve rocker. as long as they are working correctly you never need to adjust the valves.

these were common on 90 - 96 ej22s and i think they were only on the 96 ej25, and maybe not all of those.

they went to bucket and shim adjusters in 97 on the ej25.

HLAs are much more user friendly but i think bucket and shim or standard threaded adjuster w/ lock nut are more HP friendly. but i'm not really sure.

ok i pulled the heads off today. the intake valves on both sides are bent. theres about 1/16th of an inch gap completely visible on all 8 intake valves. now the exhaust look good to the eye but havnt tried putting kerosene in to test yet. could this have caused any damage to the piston heads? should i be worried and replace them as well or should they be ok? i will test the valves tomorrow with kerosene in them to see if the exhaust valves leak and maybe take a picture.

johnegg - "HLAs are much more user friendly but i think bucket and shim or standard threaded adjuster w/ lock nut are more HP friendly"

could you let me know which is more hp friendly? and if mines a 97 would they work? eBay says it would but i don't trust eBay judgement.

look for a car or engine with bad head gaskets that has been cooked, or overheated . folks who do ej22 swaps or even swapping in a newer ej25 will sell the engine for less then 200$.

or just buy heads from www.car-part.com . heads are $100 each plus shipping, if needed.

i don't think your 97 has HLAs so i don think the head in the ebay ad will work unless you get two of them.

96 was the first year for the ej25. in 97 they tweaked it and squeezed out a little more HP. one of the tweaks was no more HLAs. (also, 96 needed premium gas, 97+ only needs regular.)

Your 97 doesn't have HLA lifters

Shimmed bucket lifters are more horsepower friendly in the higher rpms. If you're not planning on building an engine with over 300 crank horsepower you would be fine with HLA's. The Impreza 22B had HLA heads, made 280HP, and revved to 7500 rpm.

However, I do not know if the HLA's would fit in the later 97 to 99 cylinder heads, but I would think that they should no problem.

Archived