LegacyGT.com

Trailer Hitch on sedan??

I am interested in getting the GT limited and can't find any info on if you can put a trailer hitch on the sedan. I have one on my 02 WRX sedan and I use it to tow a jetski. Does anyone have info for me? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I've been wondering about this trailer hitch dilemma myself with the new Legacies. I only plan to pull very light loads, say motorcycle and trailer - but I would like to keep the class II style hitch since I already have the drawbar, etc from the hitch on my 00 Outback. Perhaps there is an option with the 02 Legacy GT (assumed you had the wagon), is this car the same chassis as a regular 02 Legacy wagon or Outback? I think that it is. :?: I looked at a trailer hitch site where I got my 00 Outback hitch: [url]http://www.etrailer.com[/url] Look at the 02 hitches: [url]http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Legacy&category=hitch&year=2002&make=Subaru&t1=&h=e[/url] Look at the 00 hitches: [url]http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Legacy&category=hitch&year=2000&make=Subaru&t1=&h=e[/url] I am looking at Draw-tite P/N 36284, in 00 the hitch fits both the Outback, Sedan, and wagon per the specs. That makes sense, the chassis' are all the same, just suspension differences (ignore sedan body vs wagon body). Same hitch works for all cars in the 02 model year as well. Bumper profile dones't seem to be an issue since the hitch fits both Outbacks and the base Legacy wagon & sedan. I have looked around quite a bit for the hitch info on the 05 GT wagon and haven't found a thing, so this idea came to mind as an alternative: :idea: Following this logic of the same basic chassis mounting configurations, the new 05 Legacy should be able to use the same hitch as the 05 Outback; same chassis and exhaust setups, right? But, do these cars share the same rear bumper profile along the bottom edge :?: :?: Looking at the brochures and Subaru website, they seem to be similar, but an in-person compare will tell a bit more...could someone take a look? The important part is the vertical distance from the frame rails to the bottom edge of the bumper - what is the clearance of an Outback hitch between the hitch and bumper on an 05 Legacy GT? We want the hitch to tuck up tight and not be hanging down, but not too much as to be touching the plastic bumper & paint. I may go and try to measure/look at this today if the local dealer still has an 05 Outback on the lot. :!: Of course, the Outback is rated to tow more than the Legacy, but that isn't important if someone uses common sense and doesn't overload their 05 GT. :!: But, you could perhaps have a Class II hitch for the convenience & more readily avail. hitch accessories (bike racks, etc.) :) Now, take a look at the 05 hitch offerings thus far: [url]http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Legacy&category=hitch&year=2005&make=Subaru&t1=&h=e[/url] Looking at either the Hidden Hitch or Draw-tite offerings, both list the same P/N's for the Outback sedan and wagon. Maybe we can confirm this through someone measuring the mounting holes on both the 05 Legacy GT and 05 Outback, but I would be willing to bet that the same hitch listed for the Outbacks would also fit the Legacy's. Same exhaust setup, should be same chassis besides the Outback's fender flares. The chassis measurements on the Outback and Legacy GT are the same or within 1-2mm. Here's the install instructions for the 05 Outback - go to this page and click on the install instructions link: [url]http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=36326&vehicleid=5513&yearfrom=2005&h=e[/url] Anyone agree with any/all of this or have more info??

Great, we'd appreciate that! Looking at the one on the Forester, I'm wondering how it will navigate the dual exhaust configuration? I guess one good thing about waiting for the car to arrive is getting a chance to work out these little details ahead of time.

I spoke with the dealer on Friday and they said that the hitch will only be available on the wagon. The dealer told me that they were going to look into aftermarket hitch companies, and for me to do the same. Opie, do you know if your install tips are for the wagon only?? Rubberman I like your thinking but lets hope that Opie tells us the hitch is for both sedan and wagon.

[quote name='racerdave']Yeah, Opie, that'd be great... p/n and pics. The hitch is prominently featured at the end of the summer Drive magazine, with capacities of 2700 lbs for the 4-cylinder cars, and 3000 for the six.[/quote] I had an 02 Legacy GT sedan and they didn't make one for it. Since all the Legacy's except the wagon (I assume) have the same bumpercover they are making one now.

[quote name='Boosted']Opie, do you know if your install tips are for the wagon only??[/quote] Off the top of my head I don't remember. I do remember that installation required the removal of the two rear mufflers, and the kit includes new exhaust gaskets for when the mufflers are reinstalled after the hitch is in. I'll get the .pdf tomorrow.

Here's the actual installation instructions, I couldn't find anything that distinguished them as for the wagon or sedan, I assume it's for both. [url]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/05_legacy_trailer_hitch.pdf[/url] Here's the best part...look at the date on the bottom of the pages...I guess this part has been designed since 2003!

[quote name='racerdave']Way cool! Thanks Op... Any idea when we can get our hands on these?? I'm itching for the factory hitch option...[/quote] The P/N is on the instructions, they can be oredered from any dealer :D

• 1 month later...

Yes, a short search on the opening forum page shows my GT Sedan with the factory hitch installed and the mountain I had to climb to get it done. See the title of the post "That pesky trailer hitch!."

Best of luck to you!

Gthitch.thumb.JPG.f669985328c5dd83b8fb066aecd3fff9.JPG

[quote name='UrQ']Yes, a short search on the opening forum page shows my GT Sedan with the factory hitch installed and the mountain I had to climb to get it done. See the title of the post "That pesky trailer hitch!." Best of luck to you![/quote] How about a rear shot with the bike on it?

• 1 month later...
Just a note for those still interested in the hitch, I received this info today regarding the hitch and installation on any Legacy model other than the Outback: [quote]The 2005 Legacy Trailer hitch is designed for the 2005 Legacy Outback wagon models. Applying the 2005 Legacy Trailer Hitch to any model other than the 2005 Legacy Outback is at the vehicle owners discretion. For specific model application please refer to section 8 page 37 of your 2005 Legacy Owner's manual. All warranty concerns are addressed in the Subaru Owner's Manual under towing in section 8 page 31-42.[/quote]

My dealer told me at the time of purchase that the hitch was an option for the sedan, but cost >$400, so suggested I go to U Haul. Uhaul told me the hitch for the 05 isn't in yet, but check back in a few months, they should get them, and expect to pay $200-250 installed.

• 3 years later...

Archived