LegacyGT.com

Parking brake light stays on - 1995 Legacy

The parking brake light stays on it is a - 1995 Legacy. About two months ago it did this once before but went out after driving for a while.

Thinking it may be a sticking switch at the handbrake so I removed the trim to look. Couldn't see any switch anywhere attached or associated to the handbrake lever.

What and where is the connections that determine if the parking brake lever is on or off.

There is a limit switch under the center console that controls the light I believe, this is true for my 97 that had the same issue. Does it feel like you parking brake is sticking? If not I would not even worry about it, if it really bugs you pull the bulb lol

Check brake fluid.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

While sitting in the driveway thinking about this situation, I re-started the car and the light went out.

So I need to pull the center console and not just the trim over the brake lever? Yuck! The brakes are not sticking. The lever has always pulled to the top without applying the parking brakes....so I have always assumed those are shot.

Came back in and read the post about checking the brake fluid. There is plenty of fluid although I am putting it on the list to change brake fluid. The stuff in the reservoir does not look healthy to me. In my car I change brake fluid every 2>3 years.

there are 3 causes i know of for the ''brake light'' being on when the hand brake is off.

1. low brake fluid.

2. the alternator is going out and the ABS light is also on.

3. possible hand brake indicator switch malfunction.

there is a small plunger switch on the passenger side of the hand brake assembly. when the hand brake is up, the plunger is out and the light is on. when the hand brake is down, the plunger is pressed in and the indicator light is off.

there is a metal tab on the lever mechanism that presses on the plunger. i doubt it has broken off.

BUT it is very possible that there is a bunch of ''rock hard french fries'' that are in the way and they are preventing the hand brake form going all the way down.

remove the console cover and use a flash light to look down on the passenger side of the handbrake, look for trash and stuff.

i think a disconnected or broken wire would result in NO brake light, but i'm not sure.

maybe a piece of tin foil has fallen in there and is grounding out the switch causing it to be on all the time. (most electrical circuits on these cars use the negative wire switched to ground to complete the circuit.)

I did find a pile of debris in their yesterday and I cleaned it out. I knew there must be a switch someplace but I was looking at it from the drivers side. I think his last class is today at 2PM and doesn't work today so I'll check it out when he gets home.

No ABS light on -- KNOCK ON WOOD!!! :)

there are 3 causes i know of for the ''brake light'' being on when the hand brake is off.

1. low brake fluid.

2. the alternator is going out and the ABS light is also on.

3. possible hand brake indicator switch malfunction.

there is a small plunger switch on the passenger side of the hand brake assembly. when the hand brake is up, the plunger is out and the light is on. when the hand brake is down, the plunger is pressed in and the indicator light is off.

there is a metal tab on the lever mechanism that presses on the plunger. i doubt it has broken off.

BUT it is very possible that there is a bunch of ''rock hard french fries'' that are in the way and they are preventing the hand brake form going all the way down.

remove the console cover and use a flash light to look down on the passenger side of the handbrake, look for trash and stuff.

i think a disconnected or broken wire would result in NO brake light, but i'm not sure.

maybe a piece of tin foil has fallen in there and is grounding out the switch causing it to be on all the time. (most electrical circuits on these cars use the negative wire switched to ground to complete the circuit.)

I have this problem on my 96 legacy outback. Needless to say it is unlikely the switch on the hand brake. I tore apart my center console (which isn't too bad a job) and replaced the switch and realized that the switch is really simple and has almost nothing to break on it. You should be able to see if it is functioning correctly from the passenger seat. I still haven't figured out why mine doesn't always go off either. Its a bit annoying, however doesn't appear as something to be immediately alarmed about. Good luck!

Funny you mention that wire because on the day it went out, I had been fiddling around with that wire. When the rain stops I'll take a closer look at that wire and connector.

you might check the wire connector on the master cylinder for the fluid level sensor. the wire or the connector may be damaged.

Archived