LegacyGT.com

No heat. Flush heater core again???

So I got my LGT ('06) last year about Oct. When the weather started getting cool, I noticed my heat couldn't keep up. Took it to my Subie guy, he flushed the heater core, and it did the trick. Plenty of hot, steady heat all winter long.

Now it's getting cold again. Same exact problem. Just can't get warm air out of the heater. Especially on a morning like today (28 degrees otw to work). So, my question is should I have to flush the dang thing every winter? Doesn't this seem like a problem that should be able to be fixed? I mean, if I have to spend $50 every winter for heat, then fine. (Or if somebody wants to tell me how to do it myself!??) But I'm just wondering if somebody knows anything about this.

I've done some searching, and found a few probs with subie heat. Nothing exactly like mine. Someone did mention the water-flow/gurgling sound coming out of the dash. Most said air in the coolant lines. Weird, because I've recently replaced my radiator, flushed, filled.. And this noise was here before that and is still here now. Related? Problem? Any info would be appreciated.

Could be a headgasket issue. After a drive, check your coolant overflow tank to see if there are any bubbles. If there are, your system could be getting pressurized with exhaust gases and with the heater core usually being a high point in the system, it'll have a bunch of air in it so you won't get any heat. If you see bubbles, you can either use one of those exhaust gas sniffer tests from Napa or do a leakdown test to confirm a leaking headgasket.

The other possibility that I have personally seen is the coolant valve in the heater lines from the motor to the core can get gummed up with coolant "sludge." Its a nasty build up of muck that collects at the valve. Flushing it is oven a fix, other times you need to remove that valve and clean or replace it. Not sure if that is the case for your car or not, but it's a possibility. Try turning your system from cold to hot a number of times (slowly). That MAY break up some of the crap in the line (if there is any).

Will do. Thanks. But if this was the issue, why would a heater core flush fix the problem as it did last winter?

Could be because the flush filled the system back up with coolant instead of being filled with air. An easy check is to open the radiator cap (when cold of course) and see if the radiator is filled. If it is, then it's not because there's air in the system.

BTW, a bad headgasket isn't the only reason why there would be air in the system. It could be something as simple as a bad radiator cap or the overflow line is leaking allowing air to be sucked back in instead of coolant. Basically, I'd do all the free checks first before paying someone to do something that might not fix the problem.

Archived