LegacyGT.com

Amp/speaker question

2.5GT_dude

OP, see Post # 12. All of your questions should be in that thread

Thunder240: MS-8 Calibrates by itself:) The beauty of "Autone." The Mini DSP 2 x 4 board runs $99!

I encourage you to learn/start fiberglassing. You get that down, you can pretty much do anything you want. Your imagination becomes your limitations. Depth won't ever be an issue:)

Whether it be Glassing, assembling your own amplifiers, or something as simple as making your own RCA's, its something YOU made and something only YOU have. There is no limitations. You have the ability to develop & design whatever you'd like to suit your application. It's pride, and going DIY brings much of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, it sounds like a rewarding hobby. The closest I've dome to what you're describing was trying to optimize the acoustics of my living room a while back using a Rradshack decibelmeter, REW, foam, plywood, and butterfly anchors. Maybe in a year or two Ill give glassing a try. For now I'm maxed out hobbies.

The factory HU is 35wx4 IIRC. Installing my speakers I have now would be pointless until I get the dual kit, aftermarket HU, and amp. The component I have set is 90w RMS and coaxials are 60w RMS. One issue I'd run into is clipping using the factory HU. So I'm doing it right and not cutting any corners.

Factory head pushes way less than 35w/channel RMS. Installing speakers can improve sound . How much they handle is not as important as how sensitive and efficient they are and willing to produce sound with low power. In my Forester, I changed out the speakers on the stock head and it improved sound . Then again I also did a fair bit sound deadening and damping which always helps response.

Just arrived in Fla for the holidays from my current residence (Maui) . Reunited with my Legacy . Boy did I miss the sound system in it.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with an incremental approach -- installing speakers first and connecting to factory HU, swapping out the factory HU for aftermarket HU if you aren't satisfied, and getting an amp if you still aren't satisfied. (Assuming of course you have the time for all that.) let us know how it goes! And sorry again for the partial thread jack. Your post inspired us :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm ordering the dual HVAC unit next week and decided on the Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD. I just need to find an amp. Which I find to be the most PITA.

So my question is if I'm powering a component set (90w RMS 270w peak @ 2ohm) up front and coaxials (50w RMS 150w peak @ 4ohm.) What is a good ideal amp(s) to power these and how would one go doing so? Also is there a specific wiring kit one would recommend?

Amps options are huge . Generally speaking try to emphasize power up front and de-emphasize the rear . 100 W/per channel RMS up front and 50 W RMS in the rear should do fine. Many of my systems I start out powering only the front but eventually get to some rear fill. Stay away from lesser brands like power acoustic etc. I heard a system the other day with the Alpine PDX series and was fairly impressed. They pack a nice punch in a small and efficient package.

I recently did an amp install for my brother in his WRX . He bought an amp wiring kit from Bestbuy that had everything including twisted pair wiring (A nice touch for noise free sound) . A bit pricey at $ 70 but more than enough for a modest amp at 8 guage thickness. Two amps would require a 4 guage kit . Here is the one I used

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-+D-Series+Amplifier+Installation+Kit/9906282.p?id=1218193799521&skuId=9906282&st=amp wiring kit&cp=2&lp=3

+1 for the PDX amps. I have 2 M6s and 1 F4 in my setup. I used Kicker amp wiring kits which can be acquired on Amazon.com on the low low. Kicker PKD4 is the multi amp wiring kit I got and I ended up getting the PK8 kit as well because I needed MOAR WIRE for my second M6 :)

I'm ordering the dual HVAC unit next week and decided on the Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD. I just need to find an amp. Which I find to be the most PITA.

So my question is if I'm powering a component set (90w RMS 270w peak @ 2ohm) up front and coaxials (50w RMS 150w peak @ 4ohm.) What is a good ideal amp(s) to power these and how would one go doing so? Also is there a specific wiring kit one would recommend?

I have an amp for sale in the classifieds =)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-md-pioneer-gm-d9500f-4-channel-amp-178346.html

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on what kind and volume of music, and your taste of lows, mids, and highs, there couldn't be a fair suggestion. What u like will be different then what others like.

Personally working at a higher end audio store and seeing all kinds of set ups I can help with what sounded the best at a certain price amount. The size of your investment towards the audio is a good question to ask your self. Personally audio is very important to me and I would want components in the front, coaxial in the rear, a small woofer and a 5 channel amp to power them all. An aftermarket head unit will b a large upgrade to the signal going to the amp, and tune-ability of that signal to the amp.

Good equipment will last as long as the car and you'll probably take it to your next car.

Just received harness from SVCdc and kit from AVOJDM. Should have everything installed tomorrow and have pics

Anxious to see your progress dude.... I'm going the Speaker replacement first route, then a new 5 channel amp and small Sub. Then maybe a new double DIN HU ??? I'm hoping for a simple upgrade of the crappy OEM stock radio in the 2.5i 2010 Leggy. I'm doing this depite the audio pro's advise to upgrade the HU 1st, then the speakers. Best Buy guys said to go the route i stated.

Does anyone know: if I install the new Apline 6s (components in the front and coaxial in the rear), keep the stock HU, and install Subaru's amplified Subwoofer (undr the seat)....is that worth the $$$$. I'm thinking that the Subaru sub would work with the stock HU nicely and not cost too much..

Archived