LegacyGT.com

Loud Drone Sound while traveling Highway speed 50mph+ after reaching 100k miles

Don't know where I should post this. But my car had been acting somewhat weird and loud for the past 2 months.

The problem originally started with what sounds like a thumping/pumping sound coming from the engine bay while driving. Everything else and the car drives fine so I thought I'd have my mech to take a look when I do my timing belt service.

After having my timing belt replaced and install a Cobb LW drive pulley. The thumping/pumping sound lasted for another 2 weeks then turned into a loud drone sound like I'm running a rice fart can. No changes to the exhaust system were made, still running stock piping and Prodrive cans.

Car drones when traveling highway speed at 50mph+ Acceleration is affected as well. It sounds like the car is straining to get up to speed. For example, when i'm traveling 80mph at 3k RPM, it almost sounds like it's stuck at 5k RPM even though it's not.

Can this be a side effect of the LW Cobb pulley or the timing belt?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

-Michael

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Is your mileage dropping?

Are you sure you are losing performance or could it just be the sound in your head?

Wheel bearings seem to have a clunking sound associated with them failing, and our cars have a history of failed wheel bearings. Mine in the front (i'm pretty sure) has become a humming/whining sound now.

Can you replicate the sound just revving the engine or is it only when you're moving?

I've had my wheel bearing replaced twice. From what i remembered it's a humming noise traveling at around 15-25mph, what i'm hearing now it's nothing like a wheel bearing failure to me.

What is a good way to check for exhaust leaks?

If you do a search on youtube for wheel bearing failure or dead wheel bearing you will find that the sounds seem to vary pretty substantially. The humming that you describe is what I have too, but it seems that some people get a knocking or clunking sound too.

Not saying it's definitely not an exhaust leak, but worth a shot.

Did you say if your sound is speed specific or RPM specific?

Seafoam..

Can you explain how seafoam works and how it'll help me find the exhaust leak G? :wub:

If you do a search on youtube for wheel bearing failure or dead wheel bearing you will find that the sounds seem to vary pretty substantially. The humming that you describe is what I have too, but it seems that some people get a knocking or clunking sound too.

Not saying it's definitely not an exhaust leak, but worth a shot.

Did you say if your sound is speed specific or RPM specific?

I do have a clunking noise coming from the back of the car that i suspect is coming from the wheel bearing.

I'll figure out if the noise is speed/RPM specific tonight. Will update!

○ ○ ○

Hanger,

Wheel bearing sounds can change from an inconsistent rubbing sound during turns, to a pretty consistent low pitched rumble, to a full-time, full-on growl that never goes away. From everything you describe above, it certainly sounds like wheel bearings, but don't discount that it could also be something else that rotates and/or turns regularly, i.e., idler pulleys, water pump, alternator, etc.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Can you explain how seafoam works and how it'll help me find the exhaust leak G? :wub:

I do have a clunking noise coming from the back of the car that i suspect is coming from the wheel bearing.

I'll figure out if the noise is speed/RPM specific tonight. Will update!

SeaFoam gets sucked in through a vacuum line and an ungodly amount of smoke pours out your exhaust and any exhaust leaks. Here's a thread on this site (there's more):

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/seafoaming-146304.html?t=146304&highlight=seafoam

Go to YouTube and you can see some vids and instructions too.

You sure that diffuser isn't banging in the back there? Just kidding.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out.

I had one wheel bearing that was an ungodly hum that was louder the faster I went. Another just squeaked and I originally thought it was my caliper.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

This may sound dumb but did you check your tires camber wear? I got lazy at on point and wasn't rotating my tires as regularly as I should've with my Rota Gravels and as the inside shoulder of the tires wore the noise got louder and made me think it was the wheel bearings. If the wear is fine then check the wheel bearing next, then seafoam the motor to check for exhaust leaks, don't use too mush out you won't be able to find the leak if there is one. Lol. I'm sure there's a YouTube video to show that as well. Lol.

^ crazy coincidence, but I developed a loud drone on the way home from work yesterday that sounds very similar to what you are describing. Almost like an exhaust drone. I have prodrive cans too and have not had this sound before now.

I guess I'll order a wheel bearing and hopefully replace next week, will report if sounds go away.

The more i think and listen to it, the more i think it's the wheel bearing perhaps coming from the driver front. How much does it cost to have it replaced? The last two bearings I had malfunction were cover under warranty, sucks that i'm way past 100k warranty period.

Thanks for all your inputs!

○ ○ ○

Wheel bearings are about $120.00 each shipped. Should be another hour or so to put them on. You can do it yourself if you can get the car jacked up. They come as a complete assembly with new lugs and everything so you don't have to press out the bearings nor press in the new ones then reattach to the car. You just take off the busted one and put on the new, reattach your brakes, reattach your wheel and you're good to go.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I haven't found reviews on non OEM wheel bearings.... Seeing as we know the OEM ones are prone to failure... Is an aftermarket cheaper solution a bad idea?

I've read that the bearing is only sold as a whole hub assembly but this seems to show only the bearing for 65? Or is this the entire assembly?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

Also OP - here's a good link for a DIY if you're going to install yourself.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-wheel-bearing-diy-walkthrough-86994.html

I think Subaru changed the bearings. I haven't heard of people replacing the same bearing more than once. I replaced both front bearings in the last year. My rear bearings are still good... knock on wood... I just hit 95k last night so I'll have until spring or so until they aren't covered anymore.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 weeks later...

Archived