LegacyGT.com

Tactrix(openecu) VS Accessport

semsub

I recently went with a used AP-V2 and am pretty pleased with the decision, but that was driven by the fact that I don't have a PC-based Laptop I could use with a Tactrix or VAG-COM cable (Mac user). I just wanted something that would allow me to load maps from tuners like Infamous1 to my ECU easily and without too much initial cash outlay. A used AP fits that need perfectly for me. I like the fact that it is small and can easily be kept in the glovebox...don't need to lug around a laptop...

Of course, it's also a little more limited compared to a laptop/VAG-COM/Tactrix setup, but I figure i'll just leave the real tuning up to the professionals...:D

Pros of AP:

1) small and convenient

2) "realtime" map loading - valet, economy, 91 octane, etc. maps that are available off the shelf. no need to connect green connectors or even shut the car off to load these realtime maps.

3) on the fly tuning if you have a laptop with their accesstuner software. connect your laptop, and i think you can make a tweak to the realtime map immediately and see what happens. no need to reflash.

4) constantly being developed, new features being unlocked since "merchgod" (the creator of ROMRaider) is in their employ. AP has ability to do certain things that OS doesn't.... or OS is still testing it out.

Cons of AP:

1) price - $400+ for a used one. $500+ for a new one. tactrix is about $100-150, vagcom is $10, if you can find a vagcom that works (rare nowadays)

2) smaller screen, can't display as much on the screen. with RR you can display a buttload of parameters on the screen at once.

3) larger logging interval. RR recently introduced a function called "fast poll" which allows me to log about 18 different parameters with a logging interval of about 98ms. AP can't even approach this. i think their interval is something like 200+ with 8 parameters.

4) doesn't have access to as many different parameters as RR. opensource tuning has a lot of support from the community. AP support is really... only from Cobb vendors/tuners (infamous will tune for AP)

5) as bmx said, RR has a ton of customization available to you.

edit: added another (4) to AP pros

The tactrix(which you would need for an 07) and software leaves much more customization potential over an AP. End of story.

Thanks for the info,

How about Tactrix vs VAG-COM?

and specifically what customization potential is added with AP?

is this also true over vag-com?

I recently went with a used AP-V2 and am pretty pleased with the decision, but that was driven by the fact that I don't have a PC-based Laptop I could use with a Tactrix or VAG-COM cable (Mac user).

I thought tractrix supported macs. For example, ECUFlash is available for Macs -- >http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=57

anyone purchase e-tune from infamous?

where they gone?

Purchased a tune from them a week ago? no aswer at all, and no info about whats up with them(((

I want to bolt on Dp and reflash after that on sunday(((:spin::confused:

But now I need to wait another week((

Is it really no good to run catless DP on stock map?

I thought tractrix supported macs. For example, ECUFlash is available for Macs -- >http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=57

Hmm...I had no idea. Interesting. But, I wonder if the tuner doing the e-tune has to be running the Mac version of ECUFlash as well, or will a tune "made" on a PC Version be uploadable to my ECU via the Mac OSX version. I'm not great with computers so don't know the compatibility of the two...

Having more logging parameters and shorter intervals would be nice, but are those the only real advantages that a Tactrix setup has over an AP? When it comes to the actual tune...are there any advantages there?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes ECUFlash is available to macs but can only be used to create/edit maps/tunes. It does everything the windows version does...except connect to your car. I have a mac as my main computer, but for flashing and tuning I had to dig an old windows laptop out of a closet. The thing isnt good for much tho, its only program is ecuflash :lol:

Archived