LegacyGT.com

Auto Locking Doors

shrike1201

I forget to lock the doors on occasion and I'd like for them to lock on their own. My friend has an aftermarket security system that locks the doors after a set time when the doors are closed and the engine is off. Is there some kind of system or module someone sells that I can piggyback onto our OEM security system that will allow me to do this? Or you electrical guys, is there some way I can modify this design into doing what I want?

http://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#al Add Auto Lock without an Alarm or Keyless Entry System. Thanks for the help all.

There are systems that will do this, the higher-end Pythons come to mind. I think it's a bad idea personally, way too easy to lock yourself out. For example, you stop for gas, throw the keys on the seat while pumping. You strike up a conversation with the hot girl at the next pump & end up talking for 10 minutes. Then you have to ask her to call AAA for you...

There are systems that will do this, the higher-end Pythons come to mind. I think it's a bad idea personally, way too easy to lock yourself out. For example, you stop for gas, throw the keys on the seat while pumping. You strike up a conversation with the hot girl at the next pump & end up talking for 10 minutes. Then you have to ask her to call AAA for you...

In the 5+ years my dad and then me had our old Mazda 6 with doors that locked automatically after a certain amount of time, neither him nor I ever got locked out. Seems like it could be a pain, but definitely more useful. You can't count the number of times I have second guessed whether or not I locked my doors when I get to school in the morning, only to remember my Mazda locked the doors automatically. There have been multiple occasions when I've gone back out this year with my Legacy to make sure the doors are locked.

I'd rather chance locking my keys in the car as opposed to having everything in my car stolen for a third time. So far I'm down two high end GPS units, my Cobb AP, a camera, a Gerber multitool, and a jacket.

As for the module, I found a guy on the12volt.com that will build one for me. Also, I found that this may be an activateable setting in our cars through the Subaru Select Monitor. I'm going to check with my dealership.

Were they?

I didn't go and physically check. I only went out and got close enough to use the remote to lock the doors if they weren't already. I'm with shrike on this one. Is it possible to lock your keys in the car with a feature like this? Yes. Would I rather get my keys locked in my car knowing there are two spares at home that can be used to unlock it than have my stereo equipment and 9500ix radar detector stolen? Most definitely.

Archived