LegacyGT.com

AfterMarket HeadLights

• I Donated

You haven't looked all over hard enough.

There are multiple threads on here about "JDM Projectors. Thats really your only option. There are a few sets of Morsettes floating around, but they are very hard to come by and VERY expensive

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I asked that same question and I got an answer from one company.

Here is that answer:

For your son's Legacy, the easiest projector to install with the best output would be the Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon H1. This projector requires no drilling or cutting on his car for the projector install, in fact, we have install guides on our tech page to give some insight: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php

If you are comfortable and proficient getting your hands really dirty with a more-involved installation, there are many more options there, such as the Morimoto FX-R or an OEM projector.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

The Mini H1 Stage III Kit includes:

Morimoto Mini H1 Bi-Xenon Projectors

Morimoto 3Five AMP Ballast

Morimoto 3Five H1 Bulbs

Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds

9007 HD MC Harness (to fit to a 1998 Legacy)

and runs $270 shipped in the US with tracking and insurance

You have choices with this kit. Everyone loves choices!

Bulbs: 4300k, 5000k, 6000k temperatures. 4300k looks like sunlight, 5000k looks like fluorescent lighting, and 6000k is slightly blue in color. 4300k is the brightest (per lumen count), and as you progress into more color you lose usable light. A visual guide is attached

Shrouds: There are many options here. Dimensions are provided on the particular shroud's item page and should be checked against your headlight for fitment. It is not atypical for a shroud to need to be modified to fit correctly into the headlight housing and generally the trimming isn't visible when the headlights are installed. Larger housings generally look best with larger shrouds such as the Apollo, Orbit, Gatling Gun, Gatling Gun 2, or MC-R. Smaller housings generally look best with E46-R, E46-R extended, or Mini Gatling Gun (Mini H1 projector only). Even having a chrome finish on these shrouds, they can be painted.

To give you a visual of what this setup looks like, here are some links for you to our customer-supplied gallery:

Mini H1 Output: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/album.php?albumid=226

If you think of any technical or sales questions simply reply to this email or give us a call at 480-745-3990 and we'll be glad to help!

All the best,

Andrew @ TRS

• I Donated
Before mine? I deleted it immediately after I posted as I saw you had replied with the correct bulb size. :lol:

Now I look like I'm talking to myself! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

what about high beam? no one puts projectors in that?

The JDM projectors have standard reflector high beams

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
so are the highs any better then usdm. cause usdm headlights suck.

probably. i dunno though.i didnt have mine wired in. my lows with HIDs were more than enough light for me

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• 1 month later...
I also ordered JDM's for my LGT 98, I went through the install guide on theretrofitsource and they show a Impreza with the frog eyes. TRF recommended Morimoto FX-R bi-xenon projectors, will these work with the JDM's with out any mods to the JDM housing or FX-R housing? Anyone know?

• I Donated
JDM lights are already projector housings. No need to retrofit or mod anything. Just slap an aftermarket hid kit on them. In the DIY sticky thread there is wiring instructions.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Thanks guys. I have the link for the wiring.

Two online places I was considering getting HID's was HIDcountry and CarID. And I've read that people recommend the 35W HIDs instead of the 55W. Does anyone know of any issues around excess load that installing HID's can have on the 98 LGT? Will it wear out my battery faster? I've noticed that my battery may need to be replaced soon. I left the lights on for say 15-20mins and I couldn't crank enough amps to turn the starter. I had to get a boost.

The JDM projectors have a Hi-Beam reflector and so I would only need to get a regular Xenon kit instead of a bi-Xenon kit. Which is good since it's way cheaper than the bi-xenon ones.

Do you guys have any other places to get a GOOD / Reliable HID kit? I'm in Toronto, are there any local places here that sell them comparable to the prices online.

ddmtuning.com!

Best warranty, but you wont need it lol

I have used a 35W kit in the JDM projectors and now I am running a 55W kit, both were 4500K. I like the 55W better because there is absolutely no blue tint. Yes I can see blue tint in a 35W 4500K HID lol

ddmtuning.com!

Best warranty, but you wont need it lol

I have used a 35W kit in the JDM projectors and now I am running a 55W kit, both were 4500K. I like the 55W better because there is absolutely no blue tint. Yes I can see blue tint in a 35W 4500K HID lol

bought my hid set a long time ago from them and they still work, I have HID lows, then for my hid's in my projector fog lights they are still going strong!!

i've built more than 10 pairs of headlights for 2nd gens. 7 of them were jdms using s2000, tsx, fxr, f35 and rx330 projectors. all OEM HIDs and nothing really will compare. I have done the twopice lights with mini d2s/h1. i recommend the jdm ones just for looks.

these pictures are my personal set up. FXr 3.0 projectors. phillips dl50 d2s bulbs (4300k), 50 watt ballasts. white SMD LEDs for running lights, and lexues es300 projectors for fogs

-B

-B

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6641777721_1a77c093d3_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6637137231_dd810cf4b3_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6637142217_6f44b804fb_z.jpg

Nice setup!

Did you change anything inside the interior?

How's the road lighting compared with the old reflectors when you had regular bulbs in and not HIDs or did you go straight to HIDs with the JDM setup?

Do folks who installed HID's on 2nd Gens. Is a Relay Harness something additional I need to get to prevent any overloading of the electrical circuit?

Standard HID setup

35W or 55W 5000K xenon bulb

ballast

relay harness <-- this is optional but how do I know I need one?

Old reflectors were poopy. Went straight to jdms which made the highs much better. Lows were a slight improvement. Hids with proper retrofit were a day and night difference. 35 or 55 watt doesn't matter. Huge improvement. It does get expensive though

A relay harness is required and highly recommended.

-B

Archived