LegacyGT.com

Buying a 96 Legacy on Monday

Hi. I am in the market for a Daily Driver since my old maxima refused to start one day and i donated it. I've been interested in Subarus for quite a long time. Rather than buying a toyota/honda as a daily, Subaru just appeals more to me. Back to the topic, I test drove a 96 Subaru legacy with 131000 miles Automatic 4WD and there was a little thumping noise coming. The dealer said its the tires because they are bigger than the rims and he will replace them and give me a test drive again this Monday. Please let me know what are the things i need to keep my eye open to when i go again for a test drive.

I also own a Bmw 135i but since my commute is 80miles everyday, I Like to have a nice daily driver.

Were all the tires the same and have the same amount of tread? If they were different and had a fair amount of different tread it could have a damaged *center diff* which is actually a clutch pack thing since it's auto. This could be an expensive fix, I'm not sure but I think around $800/900. Or could be axles or wheel bearings.

Axles-Check to see if the axles boots are torn. Also do some slow speed full lock turns (like in a empty parking lot) in each direction, and listen for the thumping or a pop-ing noise. It would also have a steady thump that increases with faster speed in straight lines. Both of those symptoms could indicate needing a new axle(s), which doesn't cost too much, around $75 from the local auto store, plus the labor if you don't do it yourself.

Wheel bearings-Go to each wheel and grab the top of the tire and wiggle it away and towards you. If it feels solid like a single piece, they're good, but if it feels kinda loose (you'll know the feeling if it happens) the bearing and seals will need to be replaced. This is common on subarus, and again doesn't cost much but definitely needs replacement soon, and requires a press to get the bearing out and the new one in.

Not trying to scare you away, subarus are actually pretty stout cars. Those three things could be answers to the thumping sound, so check those out. Of course do the regular checks for service records, belts, brakes, fluids, etc.

Good luck.

First off, what model Subaru is it? Brighton, L, LSi, GT, or Outback?

If it's an LSi, GT, or OB it will have a 2.5 liter engine. You absolutely NEED to find out if it has had the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump replaced, and whether or not the head gaskets have been replaced. These engine are notorious for head gaskets failures between 100k and 120k miles. Some will last much longer (mine went 167k miles), and some will never fail. It all depends on how well the car was taken care of and how it was driven. If the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump haven't been replaced, they need to be and will give you some wiggle room on the price. If the head gaskets haven't been replaced it's not a bad thing, just keep your eye out on them in the future.

If it is a brighton or L model it will have the 2.2 liter engine. In this case I would just find out if the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, and water pump have been replaced. Head gaskets failures on these engine are very rare, but it has happened before.

Do what Lsnaple said to do as far checking the axles and wheel bearings. Another thing that can indicate a bad axle is if you here a loud click or knock up front while stopping the car from reverse. Do this while backing straight, and while backing with the wheel turned.

If the center diff is damaged, you can tell this in one or more ways.

First, while taking some slower tight turns (in BOTH directions and AFTER the car has WARMED UP and been driven a bit) and feel for the car to buck or bounce. This will indicate torque bind. Second, when you fist start the car, check the "AT TEMP" light to flash. If it doesn't flash when started but later on bucks while taking the small tight turns it could be one of a few other problems. You could have an intermittent C-duty failure (the C-duty is what controls the amount of power sent to the rear [center differential]) or you could just need to do a few ATF drain and fills with a new filter.

Now, a few more things for when you go on the test drive..

Get it up to highway speeds between 55 and 65 mph and feel for the and vibrations or shaking or pulling. The tires should be brand new and fully balanced so if you feel any shaking in the steering wheel and/or body there could be a suspension problem. If it's pulling and shaking or just pulling it could just need an alignment. Also, hit the brakes from about 60 mph. If the steering wheel and/or body shake, this means that the pads are unevenly worn.

While stopped, and with the car in gear, turn the wheel back and forth from center to the left and then to the right. If you feel a vibration or noise this could indicate steering rack issues.

The thumping could also be bad bushings on the swaybars! I have had one hell of a time getting my new bushings to stay put in mine, and dread that stupid thumping sound.

I second this. If a swaybar link is failing you will get this. You will also hear this if it is broken entirely as you will be hearing the swaybar bounce against a tierod or the control arm when you drive over a small dip in the road or go over the slightest bump. This is a pretty cheap fix.

I wouldn't drive over 40MPH around tight turns like this but it will be driveable.

• I Donated

Well its marked as sold on the site...

I'm going to be the asshole that says it.....sorry ahead of time...

but those wheels are just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Sell them and get different wheels ASAP

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

but those wheels are just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Sell them and get different wheels ASAP

LOL! When I bought my lgt it had some wheels like that on it but in much worse shape. I quickly replaced them with some 05 lgt's. In fact, I still have the original wheels at my house.

The wheels are ugly no doubt. In fact, those blue seats are not pretty looking either. But the good thing is, the car is in a very good condition. 1996 with only 131000 miles. All i need is wheel balancing, new rotors and an Alignment.

I'm not really plan to mod this car since this is only going to be my daily. But, i will be fixing it up a bit, keeping it stock but clean.

By the way here is the ride i'm trying to only drive in summer.

Not the best picture but after a good ride around bear mountain, it got a little dirty.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298001_221411451250312_128918703832921_613532_592822830_n.jpg

Pick up some WRX seats or second gen GT seats. They're much nicer.

As far as wheels are concerned, I can help you find a set of replacement wheels from any other Subaru if you'd like.

Is that a 135 or 128??

Right now, i'm looking for new headlight. (Old headlights are very dirty). New Speakers and rotors. If the wheels have good price, ill get them too. Just not looking to spend too much on a daily.

It's a 135i. Coming in the winter is a Cobb Tune, H&R Springs, M3 Swaybar and maybe better wheels for the 135i. :)

Thanks for the Welcome. I'm interested in learning about the Subis. Had an Audi Quattro before, now i want to see what this does in snow.

If you want to spend the money, a good replacement head light are JDM projector units. They go for about $200 on eBay.

Most 6.5" speakers fit in the doors and rear deck, but they have to be shallow enough for the door location so the window doesn't hit it on the way down.

Where are you located? Here is a set of wheels being sold from a member on here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-oem-98-outback-limited-wheels-gold-inlay-va-but-174452.html

If I remember correctly, doesn't a 135 with a stage 2 cobb tune make over 400 horsepower??

As far as the Subie in the snow... Well, it's a complete tank. It will get you through anything with ease.

And YES!! you've turned away from three cars I hate... congrats lol

If you want to spend the money, a good replacement head light are JDM projector units. They go for about $200 on eBay.

Most 6.5" speakers fit in the doors and rear deck, but they have to be shallow enough for the door location so the window doesn't hit it on the way down.

Where are you located? Here is a set of wheels being sold from a member on here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-oem-98-outback-limited-wheels-gold-inlay-va-but-174452.html

If I remember correctly, doesn't a 135 with a stage 2 cobb tune make over 400 horsepower??

As far as the Subie in the snow... Well, it's a complete tank. It will get you through anything with ease.

And YES!! you've turned away from three cars I hate... congrats lol

I will be doing Stage 1 Cobb. Stage 2 requires few bolt-ons i'm not doing until a LSD and coilovers. I will be looking into headlights in a week or so and those wheels you showed me are just like what i have. I am looking for 17s.

Those wheels are actually an inch larger and look much better. But, if you are looking for 17's I can help with that as well, but I highly suggest you lower you're car if you do that. It just doesn't look right if you don't.

How much are you willing to spend? Are you wanting Subaru 17's or aftermarket?

Those wheels are actually an inch larger and look much better. But, if you are looking for 17's I can help with that as well, but I highly suggest you lower you're car if you do that. It just doesn't look right if you don't.

How much are you willing to spend? Are you wanting Subaru 17's or aftermarket?

The suspension is in pretty good shape so i won't be changing it. If it was bad, i would've replaced it with coilovers. You are right about it looking weird without lowering it. I guess ill replace the wheels with the ones you showed. By the way, i live in LongIsland, Newyork.

You can go with those wheels or any 16" WRX, GT snowflakes, or even 99 and earlier 2.5RS wheels as well. It's the low profile tires on 17" rims that look weird.

Where on Long Island? I'm from up there. I've lived in Brooklyn, and out in suffolk county in Miller Place.

You can go with those wheels or any 16" WRX, GT snowflakes, or even 99 and earlier 2.5RS wheels as well. It's the low profile tires on 17" rims that look weird.

Where on Long Island? I'm from up there. I've lived in Brooklyn, and out in suffolk county in Miller Place.

Thanks for all the info. I will be asking alot of questions from you or searching around the forums for answers.

I live in Deer Park and go to school in Brooklyn.

Ugh, I hate my gt seats. Wrx seats are much better, and while everyone complains that they sit higher, it's only about an inch and they are way more comfortable and supportive. If you replace the seats I would recommend something more along those lines.

Honestly my GT seats are ridiculously comfortable while driving around town and on long trips, but when taking corners they just can't hold me in place on freaking bit... I almost bought some seats from John a few weeks ago but I didn't have the money before he moved :(

Archived