LegacyGT.com

Custom Exhaust Options..

MarcusDubya77

Just trying to get a feel for those who have had custome exhausts fabricated...Things like pipe diameter and types of mufflers.. My intent is to be able to optimize the set up and inevitably go to AP Stag II..I already searched..so no need for the "Search" answer....

I had a custom y fabbed to 2.25" pipes, to straight-thru mufflers-non name brand, 5x8 ovals with 4" diameter tanabe-cut tips, the tips app. 7" long. The y pipes are stainless (forget the gauge, but it's the good stuff). The tips extend to just the edge of the bumper; look like they're factory, and the y pipes look better than great. Did not change the resonator (it's fine, if not heavy) or 2.5'" piping, because my catted Cobb downpipe is 2.5" at the flange. I will buy a camera and snap pics after the 18g turbo and 18" tires and wheels are bought:)

Car most definitely picked up a little top-end power, and this is without the Cobb downpipe installed yet. Seventy to 100mph stronger, according to ultra accurate butt dyno.

I have 2.5" all the way back, no resonator, 2 magnaflows. The piping from the cat to the resonator is 2.5 but the piping coming out of the resonator is much smaller. I initially asked for 3" all the way back on the order sheet and after the guy told me, I was like ...you know what, just make it 2.5" all the way back. It'll probably be easier/less labor intensive too.

Not sure how much flow you need for a 18g turbo though.

I have 2.5" all the way back, no resonator, 2 magnaflows. The piping from the cat to the resonator is 2.5 but the piping coming out of the resonator is much smaller. I initially asked for 3" all the way back on the order sheet and after the guy told me, I was like ...you know what, just make it 2.5" all the way back. It'll probably be easier/less labor intensive too.

Not sure how much flow you need for a 18g turbo though.

I'd say 3" all the way back with an 18g..

If you go with bigger exhaust diameters, you more than likely will need an offset inlet muffler to avoid sharp bends after the y-pipe. No use in having large piping with restrictive bends in it.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I used Magnaflows myself. Very pleased. What it comes down to in the end is the skill level of the installer. I took the "backwards" route. I found my mufflers first, then had a local shop do the work for me. I went 2.5" into 2.25". Just be cautious if you buy mufflers with tips already on them, the length has to be right for the tips to stick out far enough.

the Y is at the axel so 2.25 will fit. so will 3 inch all the way back. iv had both

Yet another voice in the wind. Sup, Meier?:) So, the possiblities are various. What exactly are you after in the long run, Marcus? Sound? Flow? Both?

marcus? what????

i want the most hp+ tq for the least $$ noise level realy isnt an issue. but rattles and melting bumpers is so im stock for now.

in order of inportance

1:fit

2:flow

3:cost

6:sound quality

7: nosie level

I was asking the starter of the thread. He's Marcus.;)

I would say fit and flow..I have already seen the work this guy has done on another guys EVO real good job 3" all the way....so fit isn't too much of a concern other than..If I get 2.25 inlets on a muffle, will it attach to 2.25 piping from the y-pipe...or better if 2.5 will fit over the axles, since 3" wont...Flow, I would love to be optimized also, since inevitably I want to run AP stage II...Like I said I am already looking into magnaflow mufflers which have received accolades from members of this site...:D

It has been said that that's too far back for the cat to get the necessary heat to work properly. Just have a high flow welded in at the stock location and get a shorty dp to get rid of the 2nd cat. Just a suggestion. I have a 5EAT, too. I'll probably keep the last cat and do a shorty dp myself.

Archived