LegacyGT.com

97 obw, 5 speed, knock when braking, boot torn

I have a knock coming from my left front when braking. Upon crawling under the car I noticed that my cv boot on the drivers left (wheel side of axel) is separated. Which threw the grease everywhere.

So I am guessing that is the source of the problem. Is it likely that I have to replace the axel and wheel bearing now? Or could I just repack with grease and replace the boot. Does anybody have any experience with these boots?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1997-Subaru-Legacy-Outback/Quick-Boot-CV/_/N-j9fqhZ6o205

• I Donated

Aftermarket axles are known to cause vibration problems. If you can afford a axle from the dealer, get one.

Why do you think you have to replace the wheel bearing?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I didn't mean the wheel bearing I meant the hub, where the axel mates on the wheel side of the shaft. Unfortunately this is the original that went out, on the other side they replaced it with a napa

And no I am not getting any knocking or clicking when turning that I can hear.

• I Donated

When you replace the axle, you don't have to replace the hub with it.

The only time you will ever have to do that is if the axle is seized in there. I've come across this once.....and I had to replace the knuckle.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well it is not seized. So probably end up just replacing the whole axel then. Is there good work through on the forum, or on the net that you know of? I will do a search, but sometimes some are more help full then others.

• I Donated

If you look at the top of the forum, you will see "sticky" threads. There is a bunch of useful stuff in there. One of the threads is a DIY Guide thread that I made a few days ago. What you want is in there

Here is the link

Second Generation Legacy DIY Guides

EDIT : I knew that thread would come in handy to someone at some point in time haha

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived